Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 96 with a 5.8. I'm looking to purchase another motor to start a rebuild/upgrade on so when mine decides to shit the bed I have one ready to drop in. My question is, what are the main differences between the 5.8's in the 94, 95, 96 year (94+ is roller irrc)? If there are any differences will they matter if I plan to go with a gt40/p head etc? I know some of the years have an air pump, some don't, so just trying to clarify so I don't buy an engine I can't use in my truck. Been on the forum for a while but posted in the noob section because I figured this is fairly common info, I've just never read on the subject before.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do the older blocks accept roller cams? What about differences in the trucks with the emissions in the heads vs. without?

·
Premium Member
5,396 Posts
Do the older blocks accept roller cams? What about differences in the trucks with the emissions in the heads vs. without?

Don't quite me on this, but i *think* they started drilling the 302 blocks for roller cams in 86 or 87 when the mustang 5.0's went roller.

The 351w's didn't get drilled for roller cams until either 95 or close to it, however, the only difference between a roller and a non-roller block is a couple "quarter 20" thread taps in the lifter valley. You can drill and tap the two holes for you spider bolts, just be careful not to drill all the way into the cam bearings (or do it before you change the bearings)

·
Registered
9,834 Posts
I have a 96 with a 5.8. I'm looking to purchase another motor to start a rebuild/upgrade on so when mine decides to shit the bed I have one ready to drop in. My question is, what are the main differences between the 5.8's in the 94, 95, 96 year (94+ is roller irrc)? If there are any differences will they matter if I plan to go with a gt40/p head etc? I know some of the years have an air pump, some don't, so just trying to clarify so I don't buy an engine I can't use in my truck. Been on the forum for a while but posted in the noob section because I figured this is fairly common info, I've just never read on the subject before.
The 96 5.8s are the only ones that didn't have smog pumps IIRC. So your truck shouldn't have one. If this is the case you can go with any year engine (in regards to smog equipment), If the engine originally came with thermactor ports you can cap them. The GT40 heads don't have thermactor ports so if you get those you won't even have to cap anything. In order to get GT40s to work with a 351 you'll have to have a machine shop drill out the bolt holes to fit the larger head bolts.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Don't quite me on this, but i *think* they started drilling the 302 blocks for roller cams in 86 or 87 when the mustang 5.0's went roller.

The 351w's didn't get drilled for roller cams until either 95 or close to it, however, the only difference between a roller and a non-roller block is a couple "quarter 20" thread taps in the lifter valley. You can drill and tap the two holes for you spider bolts, just be careful not to drill all the way into the cam bearings (or do it before you change the bearings)
The 96 5.8s are the only ones that didn't have smog pumps IIRC. So your truck shouldn't have one. If this is the case you can go with any year engine (in regards to smog equipment), If the engine originally came with thermactor ports you can cap them. The GT40 heads don't have thermactor ports so if you get those you won't even have to cap anything. In order to get GT40s to work with a 351 you'll have to have a machine shop drill out the bolt holes to fit the larger head bolts.
Thanks guys. That's what I was looking for :thumbup

1 - 7 of 7 Posts