Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1990 Ford Bronco Eddie Bauer 302 5.0
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm just now getting into redressing my '90 302 5.0 and obviously running into some trouble finding certain parts for Bronco specific fits, but I do see a lot of things that says they would fit the '90 Mustang 302. Hard to find any direct answers & I just want to know what exactly are the differences in the engines as far as if hose sets are the same, or are the alternators compatible, water pumps, ac compressors etc. etc.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Depends on the year of the 302 in question. The '68-'69 302s have the lower hose on the right side and all after were on the left.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Firing order is totally dependent on the camshaft. Non 302 had one firing order, HO 302 used the 351 firing order so either motor can be made to fire with either order.

The crank is different because to go from 302 to 351 Ford kept the same bore (4 inches) and added 1/2 inch of stroke. There may also be bearing size differences bit I don't know if hose off the top of my head.

They use the same timing chain and gears.

Since the 351 has a longer stroke, the cylinder heads are a touch farther apart and the deck is slightly higher which is why someone above mentioned intake/exhaust fitment differences.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
93 XLT 347, GT40 Heads, Bassani headers/exhaust, E4OD
1,767 Posts
I'm just now getting into redressing my 302 5.0 and obviously running into some trouble finding certain parts for Bronco specific fits, but I do see a lot of things that says they would fit the '90 Mustang 302. Hard to find any direct answers & I just want to know what exactly are the differences in the engines as far as if hose sets are the same, or are the alternators compatible, water pumps, ac compressors etc. etc.
Bottom line, the answer really is: it depends.

Even year-to-year, Ford made changes in how they were dressing 5.0l’s even in Broncos, much less 5.0l’s across body styles.

There can be a few funky parts to track down (i.e. knock sensors, or EGR intake fittings), but most should be readily available to you.

It might be easier to help if we knew what parts you are running into trouble finding.

·
Eric
2,672 Posts
What parts are you looking at for compatibility? There can be dozens of variations that could result in a part either being compatible, or, not compatible between the two vehicles. Most engine hard parts (block bolt-on's) are the same except the cam, throttle body, oil pan (?), oil pump (?), water outlets (?), and intake manifolds. Things that connect between the block and the chassis (radiator hoses, intake hoses, harnesses, etc.) will be different because of how the block is situated in each, dimensionally different, engine bay.

I have taken engine blocks out of multiple vehicles and built them to suit other vehicles plenty of times. For example, the HO block, rods, crank, lifters, and pushrods for my BKO's new engine were donated by a '92 T-bird. The heads and exhaust came off a first gen Lightning, and the rockers from a '93 Cobra.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts