Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

differences in years for the 5.8l motor

24K views 30 replies 16 participants last post by  Calebs71 
#1 ·
I am getting ready to pick up a Bronco with a 5.8l motor. i am looking at 94, 95, 96 XLT or EDdie Bauer with a 5.8.

I have read a few things on the differences but any year to go with over another year?

What all is the differences?

If anyone know where a good deal is on a clean 5.8 eddie bauer bronco let me know!

#2 ·
First of all, welcome to the best site on the net future Bronco owner. :twotu:

The 351 started in 94 as a roller motor, block code F4TE. What this means is it'll have a roller cam if its original. 94 and 95's are speed density motors. In 96, they went to mass air flow. The California models for 95 were also mass air flow motors.

#3 ·
Ill have to dig up pics of my old Bronco. HAd a 91 Edddie Bauer for awhile and loved it.
Currently have an 02 f150 crew cab and 72 chevy c10 lowered.

want something that will pull my jet skis, quads, and haul my dogs.
If I dont find a bronco ill get an extra cab eddie bauer f150 from 95 or 96

#4 ·
a f4te doesn't mean it has a factory roller cam. it means the block is roller cam ready. some had roller cams, some didn't.

OBDII also started in 96.

94-96 were very similar with minimal changes, mostly only cosmetic, except for the above mentioned engine stuff. Nothing to really write home about

#5 ·
And you are correct, F4TE doesn't mean it has a roller cam. Those blocks started showing up in 93. But, the 94's that I have seen other members open up, have had the roller cam already in there. My 95 had a factory roller cam as well.

#7 ·
302's had mass air a little before the 351s, i think he was talking about 351s only

#11 ·
I have a 95 and 1/2. So when I buy parts, I ask for 96 stuff. I have the mas air intake. There are little differences that make it a pain as well. Parts seem to be a little different. I had to get spacers for the locking hubs, and have an extra cat and extra o2 sensers. I also have a vss in the rear end which makes going to a different one a little more of a pain. It seems to me that the earlier years had less tech stuff to worry about and made many up grades easier. Before you buy, think long term goals of what you want to do to the truck and pick the best year for making those happpen the cheapest. You are in a great place to do research and learn so you can make an educated decision

#13 ·
Ideally Im looking for a black or white eddie bauer fully loaded 5.8l with auto tranny.

from there it will get 6" lift and 35s and whatever else comes a long.
I NEVER keep anything stock...

Ive had two eddie bauer broncos, before pics were readily available to be logged straight on to a computer lol. Ill have to scan them in

A few past vehicles

#20 ·
Yes and I'm just trying to understand what makes it different for better or worse. Different internals, cooling etc.

#21 ·
It was minor maybe valve body update and mlps sensor. If you rebuild an e4od you can use 4r100 internal transmission parts; they were used from 98-04. 4r100 is an e4od with better internals and slightly different case. All ford transmissions should have a 2 core radiator and atleast 11x7" stacked plate transmission cooler for long term durability. Both were optional upgrades when new. You can swap in a 6.0 transmission cooler and larger cooler lines as an upgrade today. Jasper actually recommends upgraded larger transmission cooler lines when replacing with reman.

#29 ·
Turns out it was the window the browser was loaded in. I copied the URL and opened up a new browser window and sound came back. I discovered this by trying another video in the same window that had no sound.

Reactions: 67galax
#26 ·
The videos are very educational even with out sound but it's like when you get used to watching a movie with popcorn then all of a sudden out of no where, poof no more poocorn lol. Irritating to say the least. At least now I know what vehicles have what transmissions and different bellhousings so I can skip right to looking for a 2000's trans with the correct bellhousing.

Something I'm still not clear on. Say I have a '91 E4OD, how well or not well will that play with a 96 5.8L ODBii Computer or vice versa a 2001 4R100 play with a 1991 computer.

Guess I am missing the knowledge of what makes the transmission shift and do it's thing.

#27 ·
skip right to looking for a 2000's trans with the correct bellhousing.

Something I'm still not clear on. Say I have a '91 E4OD, how well or not well will that play with a 96 5.8L ODBii Computer or vice versa a 2001 4R100 play with a 1991 computer.
What has a 4r100 with a SBF bellhousing in 2001?? I know the 4.2L v6 has the SBF pattern but did they come with a 4r100? Mine was a 4r70w in '99.

I have heard that the modular bellhousing and SBF are the same but with dowel locations swapped around.

#28 · (Edited)
@BigBlue 94 I had not researched it at the time and now ythat you questioned it I learned 1997 was the last year ford used the 5.8L 351W engine. I have no idea what fits what really. The dowl pins you mentioned being in different locations. Is that interchangeable or would modifications be required? Sounds like E4OD is the best option for the 5.8L in an auto for the latest computers 89 - 96 year bronco's.

#30 ·
5.8 did stop after the 97 F250HD and F350. But the 302 went on in explorers for another 5 years or so. But again, those are 4R70W like the 4.2V6 econoline and light f150s. Automatics are not my best subject.

The bit about modular bellhousings was told to me by a Ford engineer who worked on both the 300 inline six and the modular V8s. The holes are all the same but the dowels were swapped around. This would require some precision drilling and reaming to swap em around.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.