Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of swapping a 460 into an 81 XLT, I haven't decided whether to go with a manual or a C6 at this stage.
What I'd like to know is, does the swap have any negative affects on the handling, braking or tyre and suspension wear?
Is there any need to make any mods to the suspension to handle the extra weight?
I've searched the forums and couldn't find an answer.
Thanks.

Josh

T

·
0 Posts
I ran mine 120K after I did my '84, never had any problems I could say the swap of the 460 caused.

·
Registered
225 Posts
are you stock height? if so you will want to install leveling springs at the same time due to the extra weight of the engine. we used rancho 2" coils on my friend's bronco because it was stock height when his 460 went in.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm still stock height, thats good to know. Thats the sort of thing that could have left me unglued.
Is there a large, noticable, difference between the 351 and 460, in stock form or will I need to work it. May sound stupid but it's a legit question.
After making some calls today i am wondering if i'm better off spending all this money on the current Cleveland, australian bronco's came with clevelands.

·
A beer and a gun
2,077 Posts
I've never driven a Bronco with a 460, but from other trucks I can tell you that the 460 packs a LOT of power. The 460 is a tight fit in a Bronco from the pictures that I've seen, but it's a nice engine. On the other hand, a Cleveland is a pretty powerful engine as well. Which Cleveland engine comes in the Aussie Broncos?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The Bronco's came with either a 351C or a 302C.
The 302C is apparently an Australian only motor. The same block is used with closed chamber heads and a different crank with 6.028" rods.
The 302 lacks a lot of the power of the 351.

·
Registered
126 Posts
i have a 429 in my 1980 and a 429 is the same block as the 460 and i havent had a single problem its my daily driver so id know everything else is stock its got a c6 and stock rearend when i first got it in it had a problem with cracking my aluminum rims but swapping to steel fixed the problem and a few rear ends later its fixed to no breaking problems or anything and the front dosent seem to have sagged either i have the front dual shocks though so maby thats why i believe the ones with front duals are a little more beefed up up front and i have 33`s under it with no lift or fender trimming so that should tell you it diddent sag any one problem i ran into is with dual exaust you usually have to route the driver side under the cross member because of the transfercase theres not really any other way to run it o you end up with low hanging exaust i even off-road a fair amount and havent crushed the pipe yet so its not in to bad a place

1 - 8 of 8 Posts