Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 85 has the stock ignition setup that does not have vacuum advance, and does have the ICM on the dizzy. I picked up a dizzy at one of the local pic n pull yards for $20. I know I need to go get the ICM, the one with the blue plug. What else do I need and how do I wire it in?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
All emissions have been removed, and the feedback carb isn't even plugged in. I may be misinformed, but it is my understanding that somewhere in this process that the ignition's ability to advance with the rpm of the motor has been compromised. I was told that there would be a "dead spot" for a second when you hit the throttle. That dead spot is there, and I am also slowly trying to get a more efficient motor for better fuel mileage.

·
Registered
778 Posts
oh, you are converting from Duraspark3 to duraspark 2.

Search for duraspark 2 conversions. Lots of people have done the mod and have better writeups than I can give you.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Go back to the pick n pull and get the module from the drivers front inner fender and the wiring harness that goes from the module to the dizzy and coil.

If you have these 3 pieces, it's a direct plug in. just disconnect all of the feedback stuff and plug the DSII in.

And the entire feedback harness comes out of the truck, it is totally independent of the ignition harness.

Justin

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think have the TFI ignition. The module is on the dizzy.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
just got back from going after the rest of the ds2 system. Someone got there before me. However, it had a feed back carb on it, and I did not want that anyway. Went to another yard and got a carb, the harness and the module. I even found the stock driver's side inner fender well tool box too, but the wife says she wants that on her truck, so I guess I'm still looking for another one of those. I can't have my truck down right now, so I guess I'll just clean up and redo this harness before I go trying to install it. Anyway- I did alot of searching last night and found a lot of great info on what I'm trying to do. I think from what I have bought and what I learned and saved into favorites that I can get this done on my own now. I'll jump back in if I have any problems. Thanks a million to all.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
to clean up the harness (it probably needs it) mix some simple green with water in a bucket and put the harness in it. let it sit overnight and it'll look almost brand new.

Justin

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Me being as anal as I am about this sort of stuff, I plan to delete the wires that are not needed from the harness. There is the wire for the oil pressure sending unit for one, and I think I saw a couple others. The factory "tape" around all of it is pretty much falling apart. It is complete, not much to it, so a wire by wire clean and retape surely couldn't take to awfully long. Thanks for the tip, there was apparently a BAD oil leak somewhere, so it really needs to be stripped and redone.

Hoxviii- aren't you on the FTE board too? Are you the guy who put the FE in the 80-86 era truck, then it was stolen and wrecked?

·
Registered
778 Posts
Have you thought about going the GM HEI route?

It's what I did and I like it.

http://www.bronco.com/cms/node/25

It's pretty easy, I just followed the wiring diagrams, used my DSII dizzy, a $30 GM module from a camaro, and used a ballast resistor for my "run" voltage.
well, that seems a complicated route to go when you could swap in a TFI coil, and delete the ballast resistor all together, and stay all ford components. :shrug

What would be the advantage of the GM module? both systems are pretty much bullet proof, and he already has all the DS2 stuff on hand.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I guess my only current question is this-Is this coil going to work (the TFI I am assuming, as that is what is on it)? As much info as I have found in the last couple nights, I think this is still a little blurry to me. I have the DS2 dizzy, harness, and ICM box- with the TFI coil. From what I have seen in the articles, this will work fine. But there seems to be a lot of discussion about a ballast resistor wire?

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Yeah, the red truck in my avatar is teh one that wound up with the 390 in it.

On an 85 don't worry about the ballast resistor wire, just unplug everything and plug your new stuff back in. you'll have to mod your harness to hook it to the TFI coil, but that's it. This is of course ONLY if the module you have is a stock ford one. if you're trying to use an aftermarket replacement, use a standard coil and NOT a TFI.

Everything else is just a plug and play.

Justin

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Then I guess I need to go get a coil, cause the ICM on everything I just went and got is definitely not stock. By the way, I haven't looked really close, but the clip that goes on the coil looks like what I already have on my truck.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Then I guess I need to go get a coil, cause the ICM on everything I just went and got is definitely not stock. By the way, I haven't looked really close, but the clip that goes on the coil looks like what I already have on my truck.
If it's not stock, what brand is it?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I haven't looked really close, but the clip that goes on the coil looks like what I already have on my truck.
Whoops, I just went and checked, I guess I do need to change the coil, it is not the same. One of these bays I will check something out before I run my mouth. Sorry.

So, can I run this coil with this "SELECT" brand ICM, assuming I modify the harness to plug in?

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
DO NOT run the TFI coil with anything but a stock Motorcraft control module. The module will melt into a smoky, smelly, nasty ball of goo. The TFI coil draws too much amperage for the cheap aftermarket modules to handle, but a stock Motorcraft one will handle it.

Now some people have had luck using aftermarket modules with the TFI coil, but ever since i melted an aftermarket module with a stock coil, i'm not asking a replacement module to do anythign except what it has to do.

Justin

1 - 19 of 19 Posts