Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I bought my Bronco the drivers seat was busted (I'm using the back seat to prop it up now) and it would rock. If someone was in my passenger seat and I took a corner you could hear the bracket creaking. I was able to determine the one of the bolts on each seat wasnt properly secured and this was causing the movement. This weekend I tried to tighten up the bolts so at least that part would be eliminated and I've run into a bit of a problem.

I think one of holes on both seats are stripped out. I can tighten the one on the passenger side all day and it never tightens up. On drivers side the bolt in question might as well not be there...it just falls into place.

I know I will need to replace the drivers seat and so I will get another set, but I am worried about not being able to secure them to the floor correctly. Its disconcerting when your chair is moving around. Has anyone else run into this type of problem or have any tips they can pass along?

Jax

·
Cadillac of Men
3,787 Posts
Get a longer, thinner bolt, drop it in, put a washer and nut on the other side. Ta-da! No more rocking chair.

·
Registered
13,893 Posts
I don't think I would use a thinner bolt. What I would do, and have done in the past, is to cut a 2x2" piece of 1/4" thick flat bar, for each mounting bolt needed. Use that 2x2 as the backing plate for the seat's mounting bolts

·
shibby
4,828 Posts
Jaxboro said:

I think one of holes on both seats are stripped out. I can tighten the one on the passenger side all day and it never tightens up. On drivers side the bolt in question might as well not be there...it just falls into place.
The bolts are threaded into square captured nuts under the body. Most likely the captured nut has broken free and is just spinning underneath.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dustball you win the prize. I couldnt reach a couple of the bolts but the ones I could reach were loose as hell. That helped the rocking...now to get some seats.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts