Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know what front and rear diffs. would be under a 1976 F250? The truck has a 460 and a C6 trans. I'm looking at buying this truck to put the diffs. under my Bronco.:banghead

·
Registered
13,893 Posts
likely a D60 rear, D44HD front. You won't really be gaining anything, if you're only buying it for the axles, other than extra weight, and the need to have to buy 8-lug wheels, and tires to fit those wheels

Unless you're doing it for the SAS, then that's a completely justified excuse :thumbup

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,038 Posts
BlueBronco427 said:
Anyone know what front and rear diffs. would be under a 1976 F250? The truck has a 460 and a C6 trans. I'm looking at buying this truck to put the diffs. under my Bronco.:banghead
would be a lot easier with a pic or two of each. The rear is likely a D60.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was pretty sure the front would be a 44 but, I was'nt positive about the rear. So, why would'nt I gain anything over my TTB44 front and 8.8" rear diffs?:wacko

·
Registered
13,893 Posts
Because of the neck-downs and spline counts, on the axle shafts. Of course, the one advantage the 60 has, over the 8.8, is with it being a full floater

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,038 Posts
davids78bronco said:
Because of the neck-downs and spline counts, on the axle shafts. Of course, the one advantage the 60 has, over the 8.8, is with it being a full floater
only 1 advantage eh? think you have a 9" out back on yours. I like the 8.8 but it won't live with more than a 35" tire, which a 60 can easily handle.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well i've had the 37" tires on my Bronco for over three years and hav'nt had a problem yet. But i was just looking for more strength and an SAS swap at the same time.

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,038 Posts
BlueBronco427 said:
Well i've had the 37" tires on my Bronco for over three years and hav'nt had a problem yet. But i was just looking for more strength and an SAS swap at the same time.
Understood. you might want to visit my supermotors site seeing as I run a 78-79 D44 (chevy 8 lug outers) and D60 rear, with 37" IROKS. You won't get more "strength" per se with a D44 front unless you opt for the alloy shafts (pricey), which are not available for a TTB. A solid front will certainly be a great feeling in the articulation dept. though!:thumbup

·
aka: kemicalburns
7,842 Posts
that front D44 would be a low pinnion design so it wouldnt be the greates setup but could be used. grab the rear for sure but check out Craigslist in both portland and eugene there are some hi pinnion D44's floating around for decent prices.

·
....ehhh
931 Posts
BlueBronco427 said:
Unless it is a "snow fighter" its a low pinion d44 (pre 77 1/2), and a dana 60 rear.

Where are you at? Want to rid your self of the 460 and c-6?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts