Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '91 has been difficult to start when the engine is warm and the ambient temperature is warm. Vehicle starts great when it is cold. Runs fine all the time. Yet the warmer it is outside, the tougher it is to start after it has been shut off. The engine cranks at normal speed but struggles to start with out several long cranks. It has a stock 302 with 120K. Plugs, cap/rotor and fuel filter have been changed over the last year or so. I've had the truck for about 6 years. It has at times been difficult to start when warm, but is much worse now. Spring weather is right around the corner. Any suggestions?? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
52 Posts
ok i'll bring this one back to life because ive been searching for someone with this problem and this is the only one i found. mine does the same thing. first start of the day is just fine but after that it takes a lot of cranking before it starts. is something not keeping fuel pressure? any ideas at all are appreciated

·
Who needs oil anyways....
1,739 Posts
kauffman17 said:
is something not keeping fuel pressure? any ideas at all are appreciated
You can get a fuel pressure gauge to check on that. You can also just turn the key from on to off a few times which clicks on the pump, building up pressure.

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
with the miles on it i would say 1 of 2 things.....the TFI (Ignition module) or the battery is moving to the end of its life. so for the battery check connections and clean and coat in dielectric grease. and if this is or is not report back so we can close the thread.(this will help to have the resolve when someone searchs as we direct them too..lol)...mike

·
Never ending project
1,084 Posts
A failing ignition coil will do that also.:thumbup

·
Registered
3,631 Posts
-

Id say the timing is to far advanced or your neg and/or pos battery cables
are corroded and need to be replaced. Mine did the same thing. Replace the
cables cleaned the connections and it was fine.

·
Registered
52 Posts
if i turn the key once or twice so the fuel pump comes on it starts a lot quicker. i have been meaning to replace the old battery cables though. i'll try taht and see if it gets any better.

oh and the temp gauge is stock

1 - 10 of 10 Posts