Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I am wondering how difficult it is to put on a 4 inch Rough Country suspension lift on a 96 eddie bauer with quad shocks in the front. My friend and I have limited experience with lifts and moderate experience with different kinds of tools. What kind of special tools would we need to complete this project? much obliged.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Your worst problems will be the driver side rivets. You need a grinder and air chisel or a torch to get them out.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Yeah those are very very very very very PITA! Other than that it's not too bad. Lowering each I Beam independently requires some very crafty floor jack work, but other than that it's not too bad.

·
Rest in Peace Friend...
3,178 Posts
96BB, I just helped Tommy R install a 4" RC kit on his 96 Bronco last weekend. Air tools are nice, but not essential. You will need a few large sockets or wrenches up to 1-5/16" (Pitman arm nut), a good drill & quality bits up to 7/16" to drill holes in the crossmember for the axle drop brackets, and perhaps a grinder or air chisel if your radius arm brackets are still riveted to the frame. Two floor jacks make it much easier to handle the front TTB axle, and we used a come-along to align the radius arms into the new drop brackets. Best advice is to get one or two folks to help you out, as that made the work go alot faster. Took two days or about 12 hours. You will need a new alignment and perhaps new camber bushings, which will add $150-$200 to the cost of the lift. JSM84:thumbup

·
Registered
3,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
cool, thanks for the input guys. sounds like a pretty good project and learning experience. it will be great when it is done. also, you guys know anything about the driveshaft on a 96 EB? will i need to modify that? my friend has a 94 ranger that has a two piece driveshaft and he told me Ford didn't start using a once piece until 98. i guess he gets horrible vibration up to about 15 mph...

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
beisel1111 said:
Your worst problems will be the driver side rivets. You need a grinder and air chisel or a torch to get them out.
i would use an air chisel, just me though maybe, i dont like to use the torch much since im not very experienced with it. I have a skyjacker 8 inch kit and i havent had any problems. The speedometer will be off if you run bigger tires, but there are ways to correct that too.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
god damn you give me a torch, and im like god with it, i burned the last 4 riviets hold the rear spring hanger on earlier, and i dont use the little oxy-acetylene torch, i went with a oxy-propane 3 footer

something like this just bronze handle

nice torch too,

if your good with a torch, you can do it easy, if your not the best and can barely tune it right then you should use something else

·
Registered
109 Posts
if a couple of 18 year olds (my buddy and i) with little experience can do it, then you can too. just take your time, and be very patient.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.