Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been working on a prototype radio and heater mount replacement steel frame that would allow DIN sized radio installation for our trucks.

It would include a custom cut template for cutting out the plastic bezel area with a dremel and an insert that would cover any over cuts and look like a professional install.

If you think this is worth doing I may consider manufacturing them...just looking for feedback and interest

Let me know your thoughts..

Not sure on price...what would you pay for something like this?

Matt

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
I would be interested. But as for the other questions I would need to see a finished sample.

Also before you can hawk your wares you need to get set up as a vendor.

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the feedback Jim...i dropped an email this morning about advertising information for this site.

Matt

·
Premium Member
5,105 Posts
Cutting into the metal frame is what has kept me from considering a DIN style after market head unit. The PO of my Bronco did that and the frame was broken from the HU bouncing around. What would also be a cool option IMO, would be to see if you can build one for a 1.5 din. That gets into HUs with GPS, backup camera capabilities etc... I dont know if the gauge cluster trim would accommodate a 1.5 DIN though.

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The 1.5 DIN is a good idea...I will see what I can do...I was always a fan of passive eq's and that would be a great place to put it.

Also I was thinking with a flatter bezel in its place i may be able to make enough room for a full Double DIN installation as well.

My 79 is currently getting new main bearings I will try and post up some pictures soon of what im talking about.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Let me know your thoughts..

Not sure on price...what would you pay for something like this?

Matt

Dash Bezels to convert openings to different DIN sizes go from $50 to $100. These are complete dash bezels in factory colors.

·
Registered
764 Posts
I'm interested.

I had to cut the steel frame to accomodate a modern single DIN receiver, so I would be interested in a new frame that would accomdote the single DIN without compromising the structural integrity of the frame.

·
Joisey don't smell funny
1,228 Posts
I attempted (still a work in progress) to do a double DIN install on my 78. I can tell you this... the defroster duct work will inhibit that size unit. Right now as it sits, the upper back edge of the head unit is tipped down a fair amount to get past that duct, making the screen/controls look like they are facing upwards at a somewhat awkward angle as compared to the angle of the dash... if that makes sense to you. I had welded up an "anti-theft" bracket that is ergo-nominally incorrectly fastened to the dash and it's mounting points hidden by the bezel, in hopes that no one could rip off my pricey unit. I say ergo-nominally due to the amount of cussing and finger cuts I encountered while trying to get it in, so I'm fairly certain no one will waste more than 2 hours trying to get it out. :thumbup
Anyhoo, I'm thinking I may have to move the head unit out further, protruding more from the dash so I can get more clearance from the duct work, thus a more user and aesthetically friendly appearance of the controls. Or... it's time for OCD meds so I can ignore it. :toothless

Just my 2 cents.

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you for the feedback...this is what makes for a better end product

...Extending out is what I was thinking as well, I have a cnc machine so machining a good looking bezel that blends everything together might do the trick. Possibly with an angle toward the driver for both stereo and heat controls. This would add more cockpit appearance but only slight not overwhelming.

·
Premium Member
1,520 Posts
Looks out of place in our year trucks. Better option is hiding in a center console, glove box, under dash,etc. Stay stock or retro sound in the dash. Other option is to go full on restomod and rework the entire dash to incorporate all the stuff you want.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Yeah, I have a modern head unit in my truck as well and don't mind it one bit. One thing I am now really in need of is a new instrument bezel. All of the aftermarket ones I've seen are made of plastic, but I'm thinking of fabricating something out of aluminum sheet metal, bending it up, and powdercoating it with textured black to replace the plastic entirely.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have a small tear about wanting to put a new stereo in with what is needed to do. I really do not want to disconnect my thermostat tubes/connections.

Leaving the original stereo in while mounting in glovebox/center consul or under dash is almost equally less desirable.

Boombox may be my default!! hahah

Appreciate the link to the mount tho..

·
Registered
14 Posts
The only way to squeeze a double DIN in would be to create a new AC control panel. Might not be to difficult, there is only one direct cable that controls temperature and everything else is a switch, so theoretically you just need one slider and the appropriate switches/relays.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts