Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I changed my oil for the first time yesterday. i've done it a dozen times on other cars but not yet on my bronco as it always looks clean and was just now starting to get low. I don't know what was in there before but I put in 5Q of 10w-30 and 1Q of 20w-50 all Castrol GTX. It all seemed fine and it looked like the right level on the dipstick after running it for around 30 seconds. Then after running it for around 10 minutes to get to work I opened the hood and there was the slightest bit of smoke coming from under the engine and the dipstick was extremely hot, enough to burn me just wiping it off with a thin piece of paper. Also the dipstick now seems low - about halfway to the full line. The smoke was coming from a bit under the spark plugs as far as I could tell.

Is this something to be concerned about? I did smell the slightest burnt oil smell but I thought it could have been from some oil I spilled when pouring and removing the filter. Think this could be too low weight and it is burning it a bit?

·
Registered
203 Posts
10-30 is the correct weight. Why did you mix the different viscosity's though? Also the burnt oil is probably just from your filter change, unless of course there is oil dripping.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay good to know. No noticeable oil dripping after 24 hours.

I mixed them because it still looked pretty low, I only had the extra quart of 20w-50 on hand, and I thought it might be good to make it a tiny bit heavier. But mostly because that was all I had on hand.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Any chance this could be due to overfilling? Anyone experienced that before?

·
Registered
9,828 Posts
The oil in a running engine will get hot, that's normal. As far as it being low, the filter will hold a good half quart, so the oil level will drop a tad on startup after an oil change.
If your concerned just check it periodically, though it would have to smoke like hell to burn that much oil that fast.
And make shure you have a good 6 quarts of 10w-30/5w-30 next time, I buy in 5quart jugs so there's always plenty.

Any chance this could be due to overfilling? Anyone experienced that before?

Seriously, check your dipstick.

·
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
10,093 Posts
I have had this issue too and have wondered WHY??

I've pulled my dipstick and it would literally be smoking. Extremely hot to the point where it would burn the skin right off your fingers.

Honestly, I haven't noticed it being so hot after I changed out the valve cover gaskets earlier this year. Not sure why that would have a reverse affect on it :scratchhe

·
Registered
9,828 Posts
I have had this issue too and have wondered WHY??

I've pulled my dipstick and it would literally be smoking. Extremely hot to the point where it would burn the skin right off your fingers.

Honestly, I haven't noticed it being so hot after I changed out the valve cover gaskets earlier this year. Not sure why that would have a reverse affect on it :scratchhe
Because the Pcv system is actually able to vent the crankcase like its supposed to.

·
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
10,093 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,700 Posts
I agree, After rebuilding my engine and scraping a pound or two of crud out of the pcv system, I have not experienced any dipstick smokage like before the motor was rebuilt. It used to smoke and get too hot to touch.

So I totally agree, the PCV system is clogged somewhere, likely right where it dumps into the intake. Pull that threaded fitting out of the intake and see if there is a ton of buildup in there.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Okay good to know, sounds like a relatively easy swap so I may get on that before anything gets too hot.

·
Roller rockers are gay
19,197 Posts
.....and I thought it might be good to make it a tiny bit heavier.
Common misconception. If an engine is healthy, with good oil pressure and a quiet valvetrain simply run what the factory recommends.

Mileage is more for US than for the vehicle. You can get a vehicle with 50k on it that's falling apart, and you can have one with 250k that's reliable and solid as the sun.

·
Registered
9,828 Posts
Common misconception. If an engine is healthy, with good oil pressure and a quiet valvetrain simply run what the factory recommends.

Mileage is more for US than for the vehicle. You can get a vehicle with 50k on it that's falling apart, and you can have one with 250k that's reliable and solid as the sun.
:stupid

1 - 13 of 13 Posts