Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good afternoon,

Recently bought a '89 Ford Bronco that did not include any keys for the doors/tailgate and was missing the dash switch for the tailgate window, I'm super poor so before I go and buy cylinders for these devices I wanted to test the motors. I've opened up my tailgate access panel and some of my wiring was looking bad so I cut the red and yellow wires about a foot before they go into the motor(after the latch switch, etc.) I want to run a wire from the battery to test the motor directly. Should I hook 1 wire up to the negative post, 1 to the positive and then feed 12V to the red wire and the negative to the yellow to test the motor(and then reverse to check operation in the other direction)?

Has anyone rigged a manual tailgate window crank together? Like i said, super-poor(the Bronco was $350) so not sure I can swing a new motor if this one's dead.

Thanks for any help,
Ray

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Thanks for the reply Steve, I've pored over your tailgate tech section for many hours already. I cut the wires to replace some damaged sections and that was the reason I now have access to them via wirenuts...I'm just trying to figure out how to directly wire the motor to the battery to test it. The wiring running through the tailgate is useless for testing it as it is corroded and broken so I'm going to have to run new wire if the motor works anyway..but I don't want to waste the time now if the motor's dead as I can't afford a new motor right now.

I'm aware of the role of the lock cylinders...I can't afford new motors/actuators for my doors and tailgate so I'm not going to buy new cylinders(since I don't have a key for the current ones and having a new key made is more expensive than just buying new cylinders) if the switches only operate dead motors.

Thanks for any help,
Ray

·
Registered
260 Posts
You don't want to own a Bronco if you are super poor.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Would you believe out of 6 locksmiths I called the cheapest estimate on an impression key was $30 dollars and it was 45 miles away? The next cheapest was $95 dollars. One guy wanted $195. I'm hoping the junkyard might have a Bronco they still have keys for I can grab the cylinders from..we'll see. Otherwise I'll rig up my own door locks with some deadbolt parts from work I guess..plenty of mortise cylinders around here.

OK, according to Steve's tailgate tech I should "find the motor connector shown and apply 12V power to the 2 exposed wires to operate the motor", ok I've found the connector..but how does the motor know whether to go up or down if I'm feeding both the yellow and red wires 12volts? I tried applying it via the fuse panel to just one wire and got no response from the motor..I'll give it a try today feeding both.

·
Registered
65 Posts
idea for tailgate motor test

I RECENTLY SPENT A LOT OF TIME FIXING MY TAILGATE WIRING. FINALLY IT WORKS CORRECTLY.:thumbup TO MOVE MY WINDOW WHILE REPLACING MY TAILGATE, I USED A STANDARD 12v ADAPTER- LIKE THE TYPE THAT IS USED ON A CORDLESS PHONE. WORKED LIKE A CHARM WITHOUT THE WORRIES OF MESSING UP THE BRONCOS ELEC. SYSTEM. GOOD LUCK!

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Elaborate a little. You used a wireless switch of some type?

·
Registered
65 Posts
WHEN I USED THE 12v ADAPTER, I USED NO SWITCHES. I JUST SWITCHED THE LEADS WHEN I HAD TO RUN THE MOTOR ONE WAY OR ANOTHER.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Yes Steve83. You are right. Cute diagrams also, but I get the point about the caps lock(took me awhile though:histerica ). Also thanks Steve83. When I was replacing my tailgate, your write-up and pictures were a big help.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts