Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
AKA Joe
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone done a disk brake swap on a Sterling 10.25 ?

I know the newer ones came with disk but the lug pattern is metric , and I have a D60 so I don't want two different lug patterns . There is a swap available for a D 60 and 14 bolt , but I can't seem to find anything on the 10.25 .

·
scrounger extrordinaire
4,775 Posts
or if you look on ebay there is a guy that makes brackets for 14 bolts & D60s & 9" rears so you can use chubbie stuff. or you ford pureists can go this way ... http://www.ncspecialties.com/autobody/reardisc/
i heard it works on D60s also.

·
AKA Joe
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did anyone check out the link that Axe posted to SFO . It looks like a good setup but its for a d 60 rear . Looks like it can be adapted to a 10.25 .

·
Registered
329 Posts
BigBad94Bronco said:
Did anyone check out the link that Axe posted to SFO . It looks like a good setup but its for a d 60 rear . Looks like it can be adapted to a 10.25 .

No E-brake?

here's another

I'd stick to travelers or the one on pbb cept w/caddie calpiers

·
AKA Joe
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Traveler's is a great setup , but I am not to worried about an E-brake . The one that you linked to Hdpsd is ok but the brake surface is tiny on those Chebby calipers . I already have the D44 HD brackets , extra set of rotors , just need to get a set of calipers .

I don't think I have used the e-brake in my bronco once in the almost 5 years I have had it .

·
scrounger extrordinaire
4,775 Posts
you can always add a pinion mounted or T case mounted E brake. or a hydraulic in line lock. or use the small caddy calipers with e- brake built in. you know the link i posted? i thought was once titled 10.25 disc conversion. i think you could do that with the sterling too. if you cant find caliper brackets, you can always find them on ebay for 14 bolts & D60s, dont know about sterlings but you could ask.

G

·
The whole point when I did it, was because plates for a Sterling do not exist.

I don't think you have room for an T-case mounted E-brake on a Bronco, the driveline is too short already.

The caddy caliper pads are not that much smaller than the front end. They will lock up the rear tires easily, How much more do you need?

It is easy to make your own brackets, it is basically a flat plate, shim it in or out so the caliper fits the rotor.

Just start in on it, I am sure you can get it done, I did.

·
scrounger extrordinaire
4,775 Posts
i think deadman is using the t-case ebrake from hi angle & long absent member Etobolowski has pinion ebrake on a sterling that came off a D60 kit from TSM. im sure deadman has 4" lift maybe 6" but i think it all fit with standard driveline. now if you add a doubler, you may be pushing it.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Sorry to "jack" your thread but is the disc brake conversions the same for the dana 60 and 70?If not,I need to find someone who makes the brackets because my drums dont like the idea of stoppping 44s

G

·
is the disc brake conversions the same for the dana 60 and 70?[/B]

Good question, I have no idea. I think you can buy brackets for a 60 off ebay for like $15.
If they are not the same, it should be easy to modify to make fit.

G

·
Ouch! That is spendy. We talked about that.
A ball vavle would be much cheaper.

That would work great for a parking brake. The only thing you need to remeber, if there are any leaks in the brake system anywhere, the pressure will bleed off and the truck could roll away.
I cannot imagine it would be too tough to tear a brake line off with some of the rocks and stuff you guys drive over.

I am the same way, I don't think I have ever used my E-brake, but I wanted to make sure I had it, I haul my wife and kids across country in this thing, and maybe to Alaska next year, you can never be over prepared for emergencies.

·
scrounger extrordinaire
4,775 Posts
i know we have mixed feelings about harbor freight, but they sell a line lock thats single line cheap enough to install 2 of them. plus ebrakes arejust rear wheels. locking all 4 would be cool. but you could get 2 line locks for less than $185e

G

·
Here are just some of the advantages to disc, over drum.

Less maintenance, easier to replace, most likely your first set will be your last.
No brake fade, if you have ever had it, then you know what I mean.
No adjusting, like those adjusters really worked from the factory.
No damage from leaky oil seals, you got that drum t keep the oil in, so your brake shoes can soak in it, and ruin them.
More consistant and even braking, no pulling, or nose diving.
No drum to hold water or mud, ever had a shoe freeze to the drum.

My drums have never been able to lock up my rear Tires.

You know how your bronco nose dives when you hit the brakes real hard, like it wants to throw you over the steering wheel.
I don't have that anymore. If you don't have that, your front brakes aren't working either.

When you hit the brakes and the vehicle pulls to the right or left, well I don't have that anymore.

I don't have the big tires, but the truck stops a lot easier, with less pedal travel now.

All the new vehicles coming out have four wheel disc. There are probably more advatages than I have experienced.

If your truck stops and handles to your satisfaction, well then leave it alone. Not everybody needs four wheel disc.
If I didn't depend on this vehicle to go another 300K or so, I would not have bothered.

·
AKA Joe
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hey traveler did you have to do anything to your master or add a check valve . Just wondering if you had to do anything to get the truck to stop evenly front to back ?

G

·
Yes, but my problems are more diesel related.

I had a master cylinder with an 1 1/8" bore. Ford put out a TSB on this, because of a low creeping pedal. It pertained to the diesels only. I upgraded to a 1 1/4" bore.
It worked fine with the smaller master cylinder, you just had more pedal travel.
You guys that want to use a dual piston caliper on the rear will have a bigger pedal travel problem than I did.

I installed the check valve, It didn't really do anything, if there was any advantage it was small.

When it comes to brake balance or the proportioning valve. That is where I really can't help much, my truck has a lot more weight on the rear than you guys do. I left mine alone, and I am very happy with it just like it is.
not real sure how a 2 door will respond. It might be okay, because the guys with pickups doing this conversion are not screwing with the proportion either, and they are lighter on the rear than you.
For me I can go out on my gravel road and work the brakes pretty hard. Right now with an infrared thermometer, I am almost exactly even all the way around. that is heavy braking, not normal everyday use.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts