Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Topic - 1992 (need vss) rear end looking at 10.25
Obvious Disk are better than drum - but from waht I have found it cost about $1,000 to add the disk to the 10.25 - What are people here running, Rear Disk or Rear Drums?

It seems to me that with a D60 front (big disk stopping power) that having drums in the rear would be ok - if you are in mud and water the drums will not work as good but arn't they good enough?

thanks

·
Registered
772 Posts
I have a 60 front and sterling in the back with drums. Stops pretty good actually for a truck.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
i have a 14bolt rear end with 3/4 ton disk brakes. it stops alot better then my disk/drum on my 1/2 ton suspension.

with the rear disk it doesnt trap as much to no mud at all compare to my old drum set up. there were times where my drums didnt work at all from all the mud that got trapped inside.

i'm sure the 1 ton drums will do fine but could suck when it gets muddy

·
scrounger extrordinaire
4,775 Posts
is it really that much to disc a sterling?

·
RIP Spring Creek Off Road
6,012 Posts
i want a rear 60ff with disc.... i'm sick of my rear brakes being crappy and when i open em up they are full of mud.... when clean stopping power isn't an issue though.... just the maintanence

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,038 Posts
Mine is similar to Chris, 3/4T chevy discs at all four corners. compared to 1/2 ton they aren't hugely different...I measured my old rotors before giving a lot of stuff away...they were 11.75" x 1" for my '95 bronco. my setup now is 12.5" x 1.25" all the way around. So they likely will stand up to heat/disperse heat better, how much, I don't know. I doubt I'll have issues with brake fade. The biggest difference is:

1) mud/water intrusion as stated. Drums just get soaked and don't work worth a crap till you heat them up and get the junk out of there.
2) very long hills, like off road coming down a steep hill. if you have mega low gearing this is no biggy. if you have 1/2T brakes and no more than 4.56's and 35's or bigger, those breaks are screaming up front after a while since they don't get as much help from the rear. result could be warped rotor, or hub/bearing issues.
3) clean, repair, replace is a breeze. don't need to say much here if you've done drum work.
4) da bling.

$1000 for discs? Probably not. If it's going to be that much Woodydog, I would stick with drums on the 10.25. how much is the kit, or you could fashion your own? For those thinking D60 FF I will template mine and get the specs/dimensions to you. go find some 3/8ths plate and your brackets will be cheap. Calipers and rotors, and pads all new are going to be a couple hundred as well. mechanical ebrake last piece, and that likely does add dinero, but there is always line locks in place, not mechanical, but helpful.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks - I thought the $1k was too much too - it was a bid from Custom Differentials (CD) the total from CD was $3,600 for axle, arb, 5:38 and the disc - I am sure it was first rate but too expensive for me -

I have a line on a 10.5 with disc for $400 to $500 then I have have it rebuilt but should be more reasonable (I thin all 10.5 have disc?) if I end up going with the 10.25 I will just run the drums.

Still gathering parts for my SAS swap.... The cage setup is on a two to three week backorder so I have some more time to gather the rest of my parts..

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
woodydog said:
Thanks - I thought the $1k was too much too - it was a bid from Custom Differentials (CD) the total from CD was $3,600 for axle, arb, 5:38 and the disc - I am sure it was first rate but too expensive for me -

I have a line on a 10.5 with disc for $400 to $500 then I have have it rebuilt but should be more reasonable (I thin all 10.5 have disc?) if I end up going with the 10.25 I will just run the drums.

Still gathering parts for my SAS swap.... The cage setup is on a two to three week backorder so I have some more time to gather the rest of my parts..

the 10.5 found under 1999+ SuperDutys uses a metric 8 lug wheel pattern. not the 8x6.5 8 lug pattern

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the tip - so it sounds like not all 8 lugs are the same.....

So if I hear you my 1978 front HP D60 is 8 lug 8x6.5 and the wheels will not interchange with the 1999 & newer 10.5's... I did not know this..
At the same time I am assuming the 10.25 use the 8x6.5 - at lease I will check now before I purchase anything..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts