Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just changed the distributor rotor, cap, wires and plugs. One wire disintegrated in my hand, and the plug was oil coated. Everything seems to be working fine, but it seems the cap is not seated properly. The cap will rock back and forth not by much but it does move. Is this common?

·
Registered
710 Posts
it's common with a cheap cap, mine is doing this now. runs just fine though. every now and again I hear a tapping sound, thought it was my valves, turns out it's the rotor against the cheap cap.

do like me, run it for now, stick a dollar a day in your console, then buy a nice cap/wire setup...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thx goober. I will chalk this up to live and learn. I upgraded the coil, plug, wires and never thought to ask for an upgraded cap. I live in Atlanta, with the humidity here I know I am waiting for trouble with condensation in the cap. Looks like i am off to buy another (upgraded) cap.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I just recently noticed this issue with mine. I went back to the parts store where I got it from, they gave me the next quality one up, still had the same issue. My mechanic said it might be the thing the cap sits on is warped. I believe he referred to it as the cap adjustment plate? Anyway, he did state that he has replaced many in his day, but none for being warped and causing the cap to rock. Is this still a possibility? Lastly think I can just JY one? Ford says $102 that's a lot for some plastic
thanks

·
Premium Member
10,000 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have the same slot on my cap, and it is properly over the protrusion. Still wiggly. I'm just using the 8mm wires that are recommended. I too am just worried about moisture getting under the cap...

·
Premium Member
10,000 Posts
Maybe the spring clips are loose not keeping the cap tight on the distributor but I'm sure you can rig something to keep it tight and moisture out, no?

Think out of the box....run some duct tape on the inside of the cap to fit better etc.

Good Luck ~ :thumbup

·
Registered
25 Posts
lol I guess I never thought of just rigging it. That'd be a hellova lot cheaper than $102 mounting plate.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts