Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1992 Bronco XLT 5.8L E4OD, Manual Transfer Case, Manual Locking Hubs
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So for the past month my bronco has been making a grinding noise when I cold start it. Noise is intermittent for a few minutes until it warms up. Once warmed up I don’t hear it anymore until it sits for a while and I start it cold again. This morning I took off the serpentine belt and started it and still had the noise. It feels like it’s coming from the distributor. I’ll see if I can post a video of the noise

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

·
Registered
317 Posts
Sounds like the dizzy is going bad. The bearings rely on the oil from
The cam for lubrication. Bearings sound wore, once the oil hits it and it gets warm it stops. Sounds like thats the issue

Reactions: canuckistan97

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sounds like the dizzy is going bad. The bearings rely on the oil from
The cam for lubrication. Bearings sound wore, once the oil hits it and it gets warm it stops. Sounds like thats the issue
That’s kind of what I’m thinking too. Just ordered a new distributor yesterday, unfortunately I couldn’t find a new or reman Motorcraft anywhere and I looked all over. Ended up going with a new Spectra for $60 cause the only ones that seem any better (which supposedly quality has gone down) is the MSDs which I wasn’t going to spend $300 on. Should have it on Friday so I’ll update on the results

·
Registered
1984 Bronco, 4.9L, C6, 9", 44 TTB, 3.54 Gears
431 Posts
That’s kind of what I’m thinking too. Just ordered a new distributor yesterday, unfortunately I couldn’t find a new or reman Motorcraft anywhere and I looked all over. Ended up going with a new Spectra for $60 cause the only ones that seem any better (which supposedly quality has gone down) is the MSDs which I wasn’t going to spend $300 on. Should have it on Friday so I’ll update on the results
I’m running a Spectra Premium in mine as well. So far so good.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just got the new spectra distributor in last night and timed the engine. Everything seems good now and no more noise. The old distributor was an original motorcraft and had a ton of play in the shaft and made noise when I turned it by hand. It also had a coating of dust in the entire distributor which I assume was bearing material from being so worn.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.