Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1980; 347 stroker; Holley Sniper EFI
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been hearing what I think is engine knock and when I shut off the truck its dieseling for a few seconds. Does this sounds like My timing might be off? I dont have any experience setting or adjusting timing, but I was going to mark its current position and retard it a bit to see if it improves. I dont have a timing light so that's why will mark it so I can put it back if screw it up.

First question is this a bad idea? If its not a bad idea, then is clockwise advancing or retarding? Can i just rotate it with the engine idling and listen to the knock sound?

I have an HEI distributor and a 302

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
12,292 Posts
I cant recall if its CCW or CW, but yes, adjust the distributor very slowly with the engine running.

Hook up a vacuum gauge to direct intake manifold vacuum, and adjust the timing to where you have the highest number. My 300 has 17inHG of vacuum at idle, so shoot for somewhere near that. The higher the number, the better fuel efficiency youll see, and it'll run better. And shouldnt diesel on ya. If that doesnt work, adjust the idle mixture on the carb using the same method.

Reactions: Desert Bronco

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
6,791 Posts
Dizzy spins CCW (the rotor) so to advance it you turn it clockwise as then the rotor goes past the post on cap sooner.

I would also check it with a light, and maybe consider a new coil as a weak one can cause delay in combustion.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts