Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The duraspark ignition has been removed from my truck and I am in need of a new distributor. On all of the replacement dists I look at there are 3 wires, orange, purple and black. I know the black is ground but which wire is coil + and which is coil -?

·
Registered
67 Posts
So your Duraspark Ignition Module has been removed? If so... I think that Violet is positive and Orange is negative at the Coil... but I'd test that with a good digital multimeter before assuming it to be right. Make sure the leads aren't touching each other or anything else.... reconnect your Ground Battery Terminal, Put the Key in the ON position (NOT start) and put your multimeter leads to the wires in question. Should be an easy check!

If the ignition Module still exists... which I'd rather have it there, personally... then all three distributor wires go to the ICM then the ICM has wiring to the Coil. What... were you converted from EFI to Carb?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It had the module but it was bad, po replaced with a msd ready to run dist and coil. I don't understand what testing at coil will do for me. I have a new dist going in with purple and orange wire with standard ford plug. Coming out is msd ready to run with red and orange straight to coil.

It's an 82 it was always carbed.

·
Registered
67 Posts
It had the module but it was bad, po replaced with a msd ready to run dist and coil. I don't understand what testing at coil will do for me. I have a new dist going in with purple and orange wire with standard ford plug. Coming out is msd ready to run with red and orange straight to coil.

It's an 82 it was always carbed.
You wouldn't be testing at the Coil. You'd be testing to two wires in question. Testing will tell you which one plugs into which part of the coil... since you don't know.

But I'm a little unclear after reading your latest post... you said you have a black, violet, and orange wire coming out of the distributor. What are the Red and Orange wires coming from? Are they coming from the Coil with the changes that were made? What MSD part are you talking about? Any pictures? Prior to your new dizzy... how was it wired.... MSD dizzy red to coil red, MSD dizzy orange to orange? Look up your MSD part and see what wire is what..... you probably need to go orange to orange.

Thinking about it now.... if it's an MSD coil, call MSD and ask.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Found it on msd. Orange is + on coil. Purple is - on coil.

I don't think I can check that way. The wires in question are on a magnetic pickup in the distributor. Without the truck running they will not be receiving any signal to trigger the coil.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Awesome! Nice job. The only reason I was saying to test.... was because the + wire would show 12 volts while the key is ON, and the switching wire would not show 12v. But problem solved.... glad to hear it!

Sorry if my tip was unclear!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts