Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am carburating my 87 302. I need a distributor that is non-computer controlled and not points. Which years did ford make a distributor like this that will fit my 87? It can be from any car or truck. Thx fellas

·
The Anti Yam!
22,680 Posts
:banghead :banghead why would you replace your EFI system with a controlled leak, that wont run at extreem angles:banghead :banghead

I reacently flipped my ranger. Laying on its side I hade to find the ignition switch to turn it off, it was still idling like it was setting levil. Show me a carb that can do that.

Fix the EFI instead:thumbup

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not to be nasty but I asked for distributor info, not a carb efi fight. The efi is beyond repair. I am a man of simplicty. I dont care if the truck runs upside down. I dont care if it runs while I falling off a cliff. When it stops running i want to take out my screwdriver and fix it. Thx anyways.

·
The Anti Yam!
22,680 Posts
Ok but I worned you

Any distributor from a 79 to 84 Mustang 302 should work.

You will however need an ignition module to run it.

Either an old ford duraspark or a Msd 6 serise will work.
These are the ones I know, there are probably more that will.

Why is the EFI beyond repair

And dont worry about being nasty, I know you have your reasons I just want to understand them:thumbup

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have replaced: ignition coil, control module, pick up coil, cap and rotor, and computer. The wires are barely used. There is nothing left in the ignition system besides wiring. And trust me the guy who owned this truck before me screwed the wiring bigtime. My options are fix the wiring prob and have another prob in 2 months or buy a brand new harness. And what if this wiring harness already fried my new computer w/ a short. The problems will never end. Carburation has never failed me.

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,874 Posts
FLMountainMan said:
I have replaced: ignition coil, control module, pick up coil, cap and rotor, and computer. Carburation has never failed me.
Good idea :thumbup work within your limits :uhoh3
Just pick out a MSD dizzy and a new carb :thumbup

Next time don't do "parts replacment" do "diagnosis" :thumbup

sure sucks when the 2 EFI guys find your question before the Carb guys :lolup :goodfinge

·
The Anti Yam!
22,680 Posts
just out of curiasity

with the ignition switch in the run position, take a test light and put it on both wires running into the coil. Do they both have power?

·
Finally got SAS'd
1,142 Posts
You current control module is in the distributer if i am not mistaken. if you replace it with an earlier year odds are you will have to use the module that is located on the fenderwell driver side. This may present a wiring problem. The new distributer will have a lead form the pickup out of the distributer. This is used to connect with the control module on the fender well. So the wiring between the distributer and the module will have to be found as well as the wiring from the module to the cab. This is the only problem that i can think of. By the way a distributer from an 80-85 302 will work, preferable truck or bronco just in case.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Believe it or not I was doing diagnosis. I checked the coil and module before replacing. They both tested good, but after buying the things i couldnt test i figured maybe they were just a little out of spec. rustbucket- why would there be wiring to the cab, all i should need is a 12 volt switched. Thx fellas

1 - 12 of 12 Posts