Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im planning on converting my highboy from full time to part time 4wd. i was wondering if anyone knows what driveshafts are diffrent. i pulled the rear shaft and the middle one, but it had a 435 and my truck has a c6.

·
Registered
163 Posts
You do know that there are part-time kits for the 203, right? Quick google search shows that it can be had for less than $50 and you can keep your driveshafts.

·
Registered
527 Posts
You do know that there are part-time kits for the 203, right? Quick google search shows that it can be had for less than $50 and you can keep your driveshafts.
Unfortunately, that only solves part of the problem. The weak link is the fact that the chain stretches, and the case pops out of gear, or does not stay in 4wd.

For the OP, all of the driveshafts are different. The intermediate shaft is different from a 4 speed, to an auto, as are the front and rear shafts.
The 205 could have a variety of yokes, so u-joint sizes will dictate some differences in driveshafts used as well. 1310, 1330, in both single and double cardan were available, and there were even a few 1350 double cardans out there. The aftermarket has 1410, and even 1480 yokes available as well.

Also keep in mind that you will require a different bracket and shifter for the 205, and since you have a C6 that used a tailshaft housing for a 203, it might not have provisions for the large bolt that the 205 shift lever pivots on.
Your frame is already drilled for the 205 brackets, but be sure that you align the case correctly, and you do not work the center or intermediate shaft at a compound angle. This will cause a vibration.

Just a FYI, to keep this Bronco related, you can use a Bronco front driveshaft for the rear of your highboy (after the 205 swap). You simply have to verify that the joint matches the yoke size, but the length is about as perfect as it gets.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've known about those 203 part time conversion kits but i've always heard they would shorten the life of the case. I ended up finding the front shaft so now all i need to figure out is the shifter. has anyone rigged up a twin stick with the old 203 shifter? looks like theres two rods already.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I just did the conversion.

It works great, it takes about 4 hours and you must take care not to lose the 20 something needle bearings, and once it's in you have to shift(you don't have to lock the hubs) to 4 lock and run for about 10 miles this engages the chain in the transfer case and lubes the upper bearing and top of the transfer case.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts