Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Administrator
2012 Jeep JKU
22,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am sure you remember these wheels I picked up at pic a part....

I then stripped the paint off with oven cleaner....

I had the tires removed and decided to paint them black....

I also ordered a set of DIY beadlocks for Greatlakeoffroad...(Shawns a real good guy to deal with)...

inner ring set on rim...

outer ring just sitting on the rim....

3m welding paper to help protect the paint...(not that it matters I got plenty of rattle cans....:thumbup)

grinded the outer lip clean...

first pass with the welder...going to clean up the welds and run a second pass...

more pics to be added as I complete this project....:histerica

·
Past Bronco Owner
4,856 Posts
Nice work Tim.

How many times did your little girl interrupt you to make you play with her Barbies while doing that? :toothless

(His cute little girl rules him)

·
Administrator
2012 Jeep JKU
22,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice work Tim.

How many times did your little girl interrupt you to make you play with her Barbies while doing that? :toothless

(His cute little girl rules him)
Actually she got in trouble from the wife for taking apart her little friends bike....:thumbup

·
Registered
7,162 Posts
I admire your patience. I helped a friend with a DIY set and jesus what a long process. However we ended up doing both sides of each wheel.

One of the things that helped him is we put each wheel on a home made small four wheel dolly about 12 x 12 inches. As he welded, I spun it in around slowly so he didnt have to stop every 10 inches to spin it himself or have to deal with welding "start-stop" issues if you know what I mean. He did it in one continuous bead.

Either way, have fun with the next three!:beer

·
yes
1,769 Posts
I admire your patience. I helped a friend with a DIY set and jesus what a long process. However we ended up doing both sides of each wheel.

One of the things that helped him is we put each wheel on a home made small four wheel dolly about 12 x 12 inches. As he welded, I spun it in around slowly so he didnt have to stop every 10 inches to spin it himself or have to deal with welding "start-stop" issues if you know what I mean. He did it in one continuous bead.

Either way, have fun with the next three!:beer
Don't you normally do both sides?

·
Registered
7,162 Posts
No. Most people doing DIY BL only apply the rings to the outside of the wheel. Some apply the beedlock rings inside and out but many feel that is over-board. It all depends on how hard the trails are you wheel on. Moab trails are like griptape in many areas and if you get your tire wedged and you try to steer it back and forth you WILL peel the tire off the wheel. He wanted to avoid this thus the reason to lock the bead on both the inner and outer side of the tire.

·
yes
1,769 Posts
No. Most people doing DIY BL only apply the rings to the outside of the wheel. Some apply the beedlock rings inside and out but many feel that is over-board. It all depends on how hard the trails are you wheel on. Moab trails are like griptape in many areas and if you get your tire wedged and you try to steer it back and forth you WILL peel the tire off the wheel. He wanted to avoid this thus the reason to lock the bead on both the inner and outer side of the tire.
interesting...I always thought you did both sides...seems somewhat pointless just to do one side...or am i missing the point? The only thing i could see it helping would be the tires not spinning on the rim and outer protection...

·
Registered
7,162 Posts
Most people run into problems with the outside of the tire since that is the area mostly exposed to the terrain. Hold on and I will post pics.

EDIT:
Standard BL

Dual

·
Engineer
13,165 Posts
Great pic Jer. Those double bead locks look pretty nice.

Tim keep up the good work.

·
Administrator
2012 Jeep JKU
22,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I debated on the inside of the wheel but opted for the outer bead lock

1. I got the rims cheap and I needed 16 inch wheels
2. Its cheaper to do the weld ons then compared to a staun internal bead lock.

·
yes
1,769 Posts
Most people run into problems with the outside of the tire since that is the area mostly exposed to the terrain. Hold on and I will post pics.

EDIT:
Standard BL

Dual
Interesting...I always thought they were double beads...learn somthin new every day...

·
Administrator
2012 Jeep JKU
22,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
More pics....

second pass with the welder...

rattle can black....

also had my painter shoot the outer rings red...

just waiting on the hardware now so I can mount the tire and see how well it works.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
doubles are nice, but then you run itno steering knuckle and caliper clearence issues.

90% of beads lost come off the outer bead, thus why most beadlocks only lock the outer.

V trails will peel the other beads off due to the sidewall tension pushing the tires in.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.