Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
94 EB, 351W, 1 ton axles and 40s
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I tried to search this topic as I'm sure it's been done, but I just can't seem to find it.

Has anyone ever built a lift up rear window for our Broncos similar to the style of a truck camper? Maybe out of plexiglass with hinges on the top, and a twist lock on the bottom? My rear window still works with the outside key (My cabin switch doesn't), I know there extensive threads on how to fix rear window issues. I'm curious just because it takes awhile to roll down the rear window, which is inconvenient, and it seems like they have alot of issues which could be fixed by just having a simpler design.

Not the cheapest solution, but I know the soft toppers offer a roll up rear window (And side windows). Ideally I'd just go buy a softtopper, but it seems like it would be possible and much cheaper to retrofit a hardtop. I'd be curious if anyone has done this (or the hard style mentioned above). I'd just love to have some easier/faster access to the back. Any photos of links about this topic would be appreciated.

Thanks,

·
Registered
'92 Custom w/ '95 MAF 5.0 M/T, 33's, 4.10 LSD
3,320 Posts
It's been done as a one-off ... you're talking full-on custom fabrication.

·
Registered
94 EB, 351W, 1 ton axles and 40s
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fodder - That's exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for the link. That is definitely a clean install. Maybe I'm over confident, but it doesn't look like it would be that tough if i could find a a broken truck camper shell or something to use for the parts.

I'll keep my eyes open and update this if I find some parts and get brave.

Also I found a picture of one of the 4runner guys that did what I was thinking about for a side window. It looks like the custom pop-out window might just be so expensive that it wouldn't make sense to try.

·
Registered
92 Ford Bronco XLT automatic 5.0 engine swap. Manual 4x4 with auto locking hubs
67 Posts
My first thing would be checking the switch, mine was bad, replaced it and works fine. Another would be to lube the window gears. I hit it with some goo gone because there was a weird residue on it then sprayed some motorkote on it.

·
Registered
1979 Ranger XLT 400m T18
498 Posts
I'm not sure how to do the back window without it being an abomination of hinges attached to the fiberglass with self tappers. But if you want to check out side window conversions it seems to be more common with Australian off-roaders, so you should prowl their corners of the internet.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts