Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all.
My carbed 351HO is running like trash.I'd like to pull codes because that's what everyone seems to think is the right thing to do.The problem is,I can't find any connector anywhere on the truck that looks even remotely like the ones pictured in the Haynes and Chilton books.The only one pictured is behind the air cleaner on an injected '89.
I got nothing.

Are they supposed to be under the hood or under the dash?
Can any body help a brother out?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks redwagon.
I guess it's back to staring at vacuum lines and pouring more parts into it.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well,it usually holds a perfect idle at around 650rpm.
Out of nowhere,it started stalling and running really rough and the idle would climb up to 1500 and stay there,still with a bit of a miss.Then it drops back down and stalls.The exhaust reeks something awful,but not like raw fuel.More like bad timing.
It doesn't matter whether it's hot or cold either.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes I did check the timing,95thebroncoman351.I put the light on it and advanced and retarded it a few times to see if it would help,but it didn't so I brought it back to where it was.
Actually,my first thought was that the distributor came loose,because it was replaced about 4 months ago.
I had that done at a reputable shop during a different nightmare.

·
Administrator
22,839 Posts
check
plugs
cap
rotor
wires...

how old is the carb? has it been rebuilt lately? could be a stuck float

have you ever considered an a/m ignition system?....such as a msd?

hows the air cleaner? dirty?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The air cleaner's clean and the carb is a rebuild that I put on in July.I guess a stuck float is always possible though.
I did the cap,rotor and plugs(had them in the garage) but not the wires.They were done at the same time as the carb last July,so they're not that old.But again,I guess it's possible.
The weirdest part,to me,is the surging at idle.Would a stuck float do that?
And I haven't considered an aftermarket ignition.Something I should look into?

·
Administrator
22,839 Posts
the surge could be a vacuum issue...not sure...an a/m ignition would give higher spark output which would help burn the gas hotter resulting in better performance.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts