Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just replaced my brakes, rotors, and wheel bearings not long ago and under regular driving I can smell the ceramic pads when I pull in to my garage. The rims to me feel too hot because I can't keep my hand on them for anymore than a few seconds.
I'm fairly certain the bearings are torqued properly, the caliper guide pins are not seized, and there appears to be no drag after depressing the brake peddle and rotating the tires. Both sides get equally hot and it doesn't pull left or right when braking so I'm fairly sure it's not a hung caliper.

I cannot find anything mechanically wrong here so I'm wondering if it's normal for these aluminum rims to get rather hot considering the tiny vent holes plus ceramic brakes?

·
Registered
95 Bronco, 351W, E4OD, 4.56 gears, 35x12.50x15 Patagonia MTs.
242 Posts
Wrote a real nice reply that just got deleted.

Are your rear wheels getting warm too?
Adjust your rear brakes?
Have you tried doing a braking test, like 40-0 a few times then checked to see if the rears are warm too?
Compare vs driving without touching the brakes unless necessary, is there a major difference?

Do you drive normal or like a cop/jerk? I used to commute faster than most recorded high speed chases, hot wheels are very normal if you drive badly.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did you do the break in procedure? Youll get that metal smell as the pads and rotors bed in
I did.

Wrote a real nice reply that just got deleted.

Are your rear wheels getting warm too?
Adjust your rear brakes?
Have you tried doing a braking test, like 40-0 a few times then checked to see if the rears are warm too?
Compare vs driving without touching the brakes unless necessary, is there a major difference?

Do you drive normal or like a cop/jerk? I used to commute faster than most recorded high speed chases, hot wheels are very normal if you drive badly.
The rear wheels themselves never really get beyond warm but drum brakes typically don't anyways. I'd say they are pretty normal.
I drive it with care, certainly not horsing it.
I thought about doing a short drive using only the emergency brake to see what that does.

Could it be the pads?

·
Registered
95 Bronco, 351W, E4OD, 4.56 gears, 35x12.50x15 Patagonia MTs.
242 Posts
The rears on my F350 get almost as warm as the fronts, but my shoes are adjusted and I have porterfield shoes and pads on it. My bronco rears need adjustment.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts