Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
if i pull straight out on my wheel studs on my right rear hub, the axle shaft slides like 1/8, 3/16" out and then stops. this aint normal is it? if not, what could it be?

·
Registered
4,684 Posts
It's normal. It's held in with a c-clip that rides inside the side gear. It's not coming out unless you open the rear diff, pull the retaining pin, push the axles in, and pop out the c-clips.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thats what i was hoping to hear. i remember the same thing on a few trucks i used to have .....i dont have any vibrations when driving, and the wheel doesnt shake or anything. i just wanted to make sure because i recently had the axle break in a jeep cherokee and the tire and axle shaft decided they didnt want to be on the jeep anymore and they came out. that was exciting lol

·
Registered
11,108 Posts
Yep, you're fine.

That little bit of play is required for when you go to pull the c-clips out... it's kinda a pain in the ass... definitely takes two people to get the axle shafts out.

·
Registered
4,684 Posts
That little bit of play is required for when you go to pull the c-clips out... it's kinda a pain in the ass... definitely takes two people to get the axle shafts out.
Interesting. Why do you say this? I just pulled my axles by myself with no problems.

·
Registered
1996 Bronco 5.0/E4OD/BW1356
1,518 Posts

·
Registered
11,108 Posts
Well eff you guys. :goodfinge

It might have been because of the repair bearings I used (didn't need them, just saw them and the standards and liked the wider bearing surface) and the fact that they move the seals into a different position... must have been outward.

When I took them off, I just stuffed a tire against the axle shaft and that was enough to get the clips out, but putting them back on, I needed another person.

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts
Well eff you guys. :goodfinge

It might have been because of the repair bearings I used (didn't need them, just saw them and the standards and liked the wider bearing surface) and the fact that they move the seals into a different position... must have been outward.

When I took them off, I just stuffed a tire against the axle shaft and that was enough to get the clips out, but putting them back on, I needed another person.
That's ok, Eric, wink, we understand

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::histerica:histerica:histerica:histerica:histerica:histerica:histerica:histerica:histerica:histerica

Tee hee hee, I couldn't resist, especially since I've done it myself a couple of times with no problems.

·
Registered
11,108 Posts
Deeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

:goodfinge

That, or maybe it's something to do with the full carrier detroit I have.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts