Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok guys...
if this is a dumb question i apologize in advance!!
i finally gathered all the parts i need for my sd to maf conversion and am not sure if i need a tuner to make/help it run correctly.
i have the A9L eec, the matching 55mm mass housing/sensor sucking from a open cone washable air filter, the drivers side 02 sensor, a Fiveology harness, a set of BBK equal length shorty headers that will dump into 2.5" exhaust back to a flowmaster series 40 muffler then into a 3" to the back passenger corner.
the engine is stock other than the filter and headers...
will the A9L need to be tweeced for it to run well or should it be fine the way it is?
if it will be fine, would a tweecer give me enough performance to make it worth the $$
thanks for ANY comments!!

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
i was hoping for some sort of feedback...God thats a stupid question, anything...!
has anyone done this with a A9L eec?

·
Registered
91 Posts
too answer the first question no you do not need a tune to run the stock motor with maf, the computer can compensate for mild performance parts. But your A9L computer will not work if your bronco has the E40D computer, if it dose not have the E40D then your okay. I have used the A9L computer converting Lincolns and mercury's over to mass airflow. Those computers are the most popular with tuners and there are millions of tunes on the web. But unless your going to put some heads and upper intake and bigger throttle body and bigger fuel injectors a tuner will not benefit you.

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
14,976 Posts
Don't get me wrong, I really enjoy having the tweecer. it opens up a lot more options to tuning down the road if you choose to do so...that said, your set up is pretty mild. If you had some major head work done and a different cam, then maybe.

·
aka: kemicalburns
7,819 Posts
i am suprised his 95 isnt MAF already unless its because of the XL package vs the XLT. i thought by 95 all 5.0 broncos had MAF.

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
14,976 Posts
good eye kem...the '95 would definitely be a MAF.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks guys, wife wouldn't have been very happy if this little project was going to cost ANY more!!
its the 5speed and it is def SD and not MAF, unfortunately...
do hope to get some gt40 heads in the future or go to a 351 when time and $$ permit, but that will be a ways down the road i'm afraid.
thanks again for the responses!!!

·
7,819 Posts
there are so many maf 5.0 95 broncos out there that you should have no trouble finding a stock harness and computer for cheap to convert. then you wont have to worry about any weird issues. Even some 94 5.0 broncos had MAF.

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
14,976 Posts
Kem is right, there are tons of Broncos out there and even F150's that would be ideal donors..having a 5 speed is also nice because it gives you more EEC options than those of us with the E4OD.

·
gone fish'n
23,563 Posts
there are so many maf 5.0 95 broncos out there that you should have no trouble finding a stock harness and computer for cheap to convert. then you wont have to worry about any weird issues. Even some 94 5.0 broncos had MAF.
I am going to jump and say the autos had MAF and the manuals were kept speed density?

·
Roller rockers are gay
19,202 Posts
I think it was 5.8 CALI trucks were MAF in 95, and then ALL 96's were MAF.

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
14,976 Posts

·
Roller rockers are gay
19,202 Posts

·
7,819 Posts
damn thats funny.

correct that the 5.8 didnt see maf unles a cali truck

the 5.0 on the other hand should have although like mentioned perhaps it was on Auto's only.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
mass conversion completed yesterday.
pretty happy with it, do have a couple wrinkles to iron out but am pretty jazzed with it thus far.
took about 3hrs to get it all re pinned and running.
my idle is a bit high but i think its due to the oil vent hose letting air in after the mass instead of it venting before the mass unit...

·
Registered
259 Posts
My 94 XL 5.0 with auto is maf. Maybe the autos got maf first? Going to pay more attention next time im at the junk yards.

·
Registered
511 Posts
My '96 and my buddies '95 XLT auto with 5.8's are both MAF.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts