Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a little searching, but couldn't come up with anything for this specific applicaion. If I want to run (1) an Edlebrock intake, (2) headers, or(3) both intake and headers, do I need to put MAF on my 1990 EFI 5.0?

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, it's got the same HO cam, which I think is just the standard "Mustang" deal. The motor as it is now dropped in without a single engine light or anything. I think I'll try headers first then get an intake when I feel like pulling the top off. I'll eventually get MAF as a supercharger is tentatively planned within the next 2 years or so (though I've heard the density will run with that too if the computer is reprogrammed).

Another option is to pull the 302 for a Datusn 240-Z and then go big block with the Bronco.

By the way, nice thread on your motor, Crazed. That thing is a beast!

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,875 Posts
You might need MAF. 9.5:1 compresion is a lot higher than stock which is about 8.8:1

What blower are you planing on depends on my advise?

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I haven't picked out a supercharger yet. Is it safe to run 9lbs. of boost on 9.5 hyperuetectic pistons? The Powerdyne seems reasonbly priced, but it only gives 6lbs. I wonder if the pulley is interchangeable on that to make more boost. :shrug

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,875 Posts
Boost is stress, how much stress can your block and pistons take?

So not the Kenne Bell charger? For a centerfugal blower:
89-93 Mustang Computer
30lb/hr injectors
70mm MAF sensor
65mm Trottle body
Edelbrock Performer intake #3821

Custom Harness (I might know sombody that can build it)

Then get a custom program for the computer for a purr at idle / and agian once you get the blower.

·
FSB's Bastard Child
2,047 Posts
Fireguy50 said:

Custom Harness (I might know sombody that can build it)

And this may be who? Could you post some contact information for some of the other users on the board may be able to contact him with questions???:goodfinge :goodfinge :goodfinge

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,875 Posts

Brent you're looking at about $1000-$1750 for the correct MAF swap.

Tim, you're already at the limit and would need MAF first :twak

·
hates EVERYTHING!
11,456 Posts
Damn that is a sweet setup...as far a super chargers go, Oscars runnin' one on his rig...got any questions maybe he can help??:shrug About the big block swap, I'll letcha know how mine goes!:thumbup

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Fireguy50 said:
Brent you're looking at about $1000-$1750 for the correct MAF swap.
Wow! Well, it's a good thing I'm not bidding on the blower. Are there any blowers that run with speed density?

·
But what does mine say?
954 Posts
That's setup as a bolt on isn't it? So my rebuilt, yet oem bottom end would be strong enough for somethin like that right? How much boost does that kit push? I may look into one once I finsih my other projects. Oh, by the way, hey Fireguy, do you know what size meter comes with the FMS kit? I'm pretty sure it's 70mm calibrated to #19 injectors, but could use some confirmation. I only ask, because I want to get a conical filter and can't remember for sure.

B

·
0 Posts
My Powerdyne ran OK with speed density, mild cam and headers. OK, as in it ran, but seemed either rich or lean and sometimes just right. I tried it on my 90 302 just for giggles before I rebuilt. I've since rebuilt, put on big heads, MAS conversion, larger inj. and massairflow meter/housing. Details of my motor are on my superford site and recent troubles under Tech & installs: http://fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8425. I'm upgrading my fuel pump.

Superford: http://www.superford.org/registry/v...ail.php?id=3612

Fireguy has a great site, under construction, that explins much of this: http://fordfuelinjection.com/index.htm

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,875 Posts
MUD E1 said:
Wow! Well, it's a good thing I'm not bidding on the blower. Are there any blowers that run with speed density?
You worded that wrong. Any blower can run on Speed Density.
But the wuestion is can the Speed Density system you have handle a blower?

I'll answer that for you ;) NO

B

·
0 Posts
Fireguy, why are they selling blowers for stock applications with Speed Density? They do work! I know I've read one site in which an engine tuner for blown motors preferred Speed Density. I've also come across MAP sensors for ricers that are blown to tune them. Be patient Guru, we are learning.

Jeri 1ab I believe the mass air conversion kit kit comes with a 50mm MAF. I know I upgraded to a 70mm calibrated to 30lb injectors.

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,875 Posts
quote from Fordfuelinjection.com
Speed Density is not an underachiever and Mass Air is not the superhero most people want. It's all in the programming. You can not take a stock automobile computer, build a super engine for it, and expect it to be a drag strip killer. Programming rules the land of fuel injection. Speed Density can be programmed to handle more power than Mass Air. Mass Air can be programmed to be more exact that Speed Density. This exactness is what makes Mass Air more desirable.
I'm not sure what Kit you saw, but there isn't a Truck computer that is good at being re-programed. Speed Density is better because it can sense the pressure from a blower. 95% of the aftermarket EFI systems are Speed Density. It's just easier to program a SD system, MAF is more accurate, but takes lots of work to program it properly.
Any kit you saw for a ricer is based on a different EFI system, Fords is typically the best EFI in the world. And they know it! Which is why it costs so much to have it reprogramed. Ford locked up the programing so tight it took them years to crack it, which cost money$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Ford computers are the closest thing I've heard to Artificial Intelegance :shocked

Another thing to look at is vehicle life expectancy. A ricer and it's turbo engine isn't expected to live more than 5-10 years. A Ford MAF system can live at least 40 years and 300,000 miles on the same engine. The internal battery in a Ford computer lasts 20 years after it's removed from the car

·
But what does mine say?
954 Posts
Speaking of AI, I'm a lil biased towards the computer in my Subaru. The thing is so smart that aftermarket tuners had to start over when mapping them. What happened was, the computer was so smart that there piggy back plug and play setup wouldn't last. The computer caught on that it was being fooled, and corrected the changes through the piggy back. Now they completely replace the computer and map it while the car is on a dyno. The computer is smart enough to learn driving habbits, and add power where the driver uses it most, ie spark timing, fuel curve, and boost control. One import magazine took a long term review model in for a base dyno run before making modifications. The car had gained 7 hp in 3 months with no modifications. That's pretty damn smart if you ask me.

Speed density is the system of choice on race applications, but remember that those guys have the equipment to reprogram at the track, depending on the wheather. Mass air is more versatile for road applications, considering the loads and wheather conditions most of us put on our trucks.

Thanks for the info on the conversion kit, but I still want to know... Considering that these forced induction systems are sold as bolt on equipment.... Is it safe to say that my rebuilt, yet oem motor is stong enough to handle mild boost? How much boost are you pushing?

1 - 20 of 45 Posts