Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
94 bronco eddie.351w,Manuel hubs,3inch lift,auto, e40d,dana44,
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to put together exhaust system on the 351 Windsor don't know if I need cats can I get away with 2 inch pipe or do I need two and a half thank you for any responses

·
Super Moderator
25,328 Posts
Yo Bebebronco,
Welcome!
What year, engine etc do you have?
Do you have emissions test in your location?

See my site for exhaust system upgrades to 3", mods, high flow catalytic converters, etc examples @ Ford Bronco And F-150 Links - By Year

And
➡ See BabaLooey's Favorite FSB Links (lots and lots of tech links) ... includes such as, Exhaust section, "Tailgate Window repair & troublehooting,etc.

Register with VIN to see most Ford dealer maintenance/repairs done @ any dealership nation-wide @ Welcome to Ford Owner | Official Ford Owner Site

For any Bronco questions or to chat about it's planned modifications or build, it's better to post each seperately in Noobie Bronco Tech Questions. Flame free zone. This will get more attention and you can build up your post count to get into other sections such as Bronco and Ford Parts/Accessories (75 posts required to view due to scammers who preyed on our members.).

To save you time and for better responses, please fill out your Bronco info with location, year, engine size, transmission type, transfer case type (manual or electric shift), locking hub type (automatic or manual) info & major mods such as a Lift, etc. .
Bronco info is now able to be put under your user name.
Click your profile button in the top right and go to account settings.

On that first page, named Account Details, scroll down to "Vehicle Info" and type in up to 100 characters.

Now you can simply enter your information in the text editor and click save.

Our Forum FAQs includes for example, How To Upload Images To Posts, How to Use Search & more tips!

Try to find time to participate in our Full-Size of the Quarter & Full-Size of the Year Contests @ Voting
You will get ideas by those competing. Also see the prizes! They are awesome as compared to other sites' "contests"!
Al

·
Registered
94 bronco eddie.351w,Manuel hubs,3inch lift,auto, e40d,dana44,
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Miesk5
Thank you for your response the truck is a 94 5.8 l I live in New York state as far as emissions I believe the truck is exempt due to the year I'm going to I'm going to take a look at those links thanks again

·
Super Moderator
25,328 Posts
Yo Bebe,
YW!

➡ASAP, find out if speed control, if equipped, recall work completed by dealership. Call local dealer or register and view status @ Welcome to Ford Owner | Official Ford Owner Site; or @ Recalls Look-up by VIN (Vehicle Identification Number) ... have VIN ready.
"Summary: ON CERTAIN PICKUP TRUCKS, PASSENGER VEHICLES, SPORT UTILITY VEHICLES, AND MOTOR HOMES CHASSIS, THE SPEED CONTROL DEACTIVATION SWITCH MAY, UNDER CERTAIN CONDITIONS, LEAK INTERNALLY AND THEN OVERHEAT, SMOKE, OR BURN. THIS COULD RESULT IN AN UNDERHOOD FIRE."
See this guide by jowens1126 to confirm recall status @ 93 & 94-96 Cruise Control Recalls Repair
Note that the 93 recall is different than 94-96.

1994 Bronco Brochure, Partial; Cover & Page 3; plus pics of EDDIE BAUER model accessories.
by BigRob at 1994 Ford Bronco Bronco Accessories pictures, videos, and sounds | SuperMotors.net

·
Registered
82 XLT Lariat 351w, Edelbrock 1406 4bbl ,C6 auto, auto locking hubs ,33x10.5x15
2,553 Posts
I'm in pa and have an 82 and I'm not exempt from emissions. My mechanic says putting cats on my 351W would help a bit with increasing gas mileage and engine performance... I'll be adding them soon.

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
12,698 Posts
Put a cat on it. Tue only reason not to is cost, and they arent that expensive. Modern cats do not impede flow, or rob horsepower. Save the lungs of the people around you.

Two inch is too small. The factory y-pipe is 2.25 and 2.5". I believe its the driver side pipe that's 2.25".

2.5" is PLENTY for these engines, until you start beefing them up. 3" single sounds the best, imho.

No testing here, but I'm running a small magnaflow spun metallicat on my 85. About 100 bucks, and works and sounds great.

·
Registered
95 5.8L MAF XLT, Hedman Shorties/MF SS Y & Muff, E4OD, Man hubs, KYB Quads, 31x10.5x15, 301K miles
870 Posts
I'm in pa and have an 82 and I'm not exempt from emissions. My mechanic says putting cats on my 351W would help a bit with increasing gas mileage and engine performance... I'll be adding them soon.
Just some FYI:
I don't think it will (I know it won't) improve gas mileage or help with performance, but it shouldn't effect either for the worse (noticeable) if it's a modern type Cat on our stock engines.

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
12,698 Posts
Just some FYI:
I don't think it will (I know it won't) improve gas mileage or help with performance, but it shouldn't effect either for the worse (noticeable) if it's a modern type Cat on our stock engines.
Agreed. On an 82. Now say a 96 with sensors AFTER the cat, not having one will be detrimental. Just as if you unplugged the O2 sensor and left it dangling. This sends the efi system into a loop, and feeds more fuel than the engine needs. Because running too rich is less detrimental to the engine itself than running too lean.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts