Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking into doing a SAS with D60's, but am beginning to have second thoughts about the choice of axles and downgrading to D44's. The reason for this is I have ZERO intention of going any larger than 35 inch tires. Thing is, I don't want to sacrifice durability and strength which is why I was going with the D60's in the first place.

What do you guys think....if I won't be going with anything larger than a 35" tire and am focused on a durable and VERSITILE trail rig, not rock crawling/bogging, do I REALLY need to go through the time and expense of finding two D60's?

I'm thinking no because everyone who is running D60s are running very large tires (37"+), that a pair of 8 lug D44HDs would work just fine, but need some "professional" opinions.

~Jeff

·
Registered
3 Posts
I haven't had any problems with my 5 lug d44, and im running 37's, a front arb locker and do mostly rock crawling (although im probably pushing it). If you want added strength, you could always use some cromoly shafts. IMO you'd be fine with 35s.

·
negative creep
8,651 Posts
dont get a 44 rear, a 9" would be a much better candidate for a rear axle. sounds like you dont need a 60 front, in fact it sounds like you don't even need a solid axle. a TTB with a good lift kit and a few cheap upgrades (D50 stub shaft/c clip elimination, extended radius arms) will serve you fine for that.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input guys...

Andy, the reason why I was wanting to go with SAS is the additional articulation/flex/travel over a TTB lift...at least of what I can find.

~Jeff

·
Registered
101 Posts
Horizon said:
Thanks for the input guys...

Andy, the reason why I was wanting to go with SAS is the additional articulation/flex/travel over a TTB lift...at least of what I can find.

~Jeff

My sas doesn't flex much more than my ttb setup. I only did it for the camber :toothless

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,038 Posts
Horizon said:
I'm looking into doing a SAS with D60's, but am beginning to have second thoughts about the choice of axles and downgrading to D44's. The reason for this is I have ZERO intention of going any larger than 35 inch tires. Thing is, I don't want to sacrifice durability and strength which is why I was going with the D60's in the first place.

What do you guys think....if I won't be going with anything larger than a 35" tire and am focused on a durable and VERSITILE trail rig, not rock crawling/bogging, do I REALLY need to go through the time and expense of finding two D60's?

I'm thinking no because everyone who is running D60s are running very large tires (37"+), that a pair of 8 lug D44HDs would work just fine, but need some "professional" opinions.

~Jeff
yes, your right. If you want to go with a 44 front you'll be just fine.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Sounds like the 44 would be fine - expecially if you care for it -
But just in case think of this - use the Cage set up with the wedge heads - then if you ever decide that you want the D60 you could just purchase the Cage weld on brackets they will hook up to the same cage arms - you would be ready to go for just the cost of the brackets... just an idea

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Swap in a D44 and a 9" and call it good. Shoot, if you're only going to be running 35's an 8.8 would probably hold up fine. Good Luck!

·
Stuck like a MoFo
3,450 Posts
Andy351 said:
, in fact it sounds like you don't even need a solid axle. a TTB with a good lift kit and a few cheap upgrades (D50 stub shaft/c clip elimination, extended radius arms) will serve you fine for that.

I am going with andy on this...there are alot of people here already running 35 and larger tires on the stock setup. BTW a solid 44 isn't much of a strength upgrade compared the ttb. YOu could save the cash and buy the quality lift for your ttb upgrade some small things and be set.

·
Premium Member
3,109 Posts
85f150 said:
I am going with andy on this...there are alot of people here already running 35 and larger tires on the stock setup. BTW a solid 44 isn't much of a strength upgrade compared the ttb. YOu could save the cash and buy the quality lift for your ttb upgrade some small things and be set.
A stock straight axle isn't much of a strength upgrade, but the straight axle has options the TTB doesn't. The straight axle also provides a dramatic improvement in street manners. I'll put in another vote for going with the D44 SAS over the 60's.

·
Sway's jealous of my
2,856 Posts
I'm also going with the D44 SAS for the camber issue. I don't feel like tearing apart a turd and putting it back together just to replace a few bearings. I'll do what Ford should have kept doing since 1979.

·
Registered
9,133 Posts
Hey, Zilla runs 40s on a HP D44 and he doesn't seem to break a massive amount of stuff.

On the other hand, 84x4 (Chris?) just blew up his inners and a hub or two on 35s a few weeks ago :toothless

Whether or not you break stuff is really dependant on your driving style. I would do the Cage mount thing so if you feel the urge to go 60s later, you can do so easily.

·
Dead Horse
5,935 Posts
85f150 said:
:thumbup

·
Registered
11 Posts
Since your going with the 44 i'll take that 60 off your hands if you have it:toothless

The 44 will be more than enough. If your 'that' worried you can always upgrade to chromo shafts and CTM's.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Binder....

When I started this thread, I didn't have the D60. Funny though, the D60's seem to be easier to find around these parts than a D44. That siad, I haven't found the front axle out of a Ford truck yet, though I DID find a complete D60 out of a late model Dodge with the 4-link suspension. I'm currently doing some figuring to see how a 4-link setup might work with Superlift components. The cool thing about this is that it appears that the modern Dodge 1-Tons also come with a Hemi which weights closer to that of the 351than does a Cummins. I figure with a steel custom bumper and winch up front, the weight difference might be negligible. Additionally, Superlift also has several options for flex.

Why is that important? Because Superlift offers different spring rates for the Cummings, V-10 and Hemi due to weight differences between them. The big question I am working on is whether or not the spring mounts (lower) on the axle are oriented similarly to the spring mounts (upper) on the BKO.

Anyway, getting sidetracked. I cannot find a Ford front axle right now to save my life, either D44 or D60. Plenty of rear 9-inchers and D60s out of Fords around though.

~Jeff

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Zach -

Central Texas.

Thing is, I can't find ANY front axles...a D44 or D60....only rears.

BTW, what is CAD?

~Jeff

·
negative creep
8,651 Posts
binderbound said:
The 44 will be more than enough. If your 'that' worried you can always upgrade to chromo shafts and CTM's.
by the time you spend money on rebuilding a d44 and putting chromos with CTMs in it you could have just bought a D60 from the get go. the price difference is within a couple hundred bucks. my room mates got about $2k into his D44 with superiors, CTMs, locked, geared blah blah blah. i've got about $2200 into my 60, 35 spline, locked geared blah blah blah. big difference is that EVERYTHING on the D60 is bigger, that extra $200 bucks gets you bigger knuckles, spindles, housing etc.

CAD = central axle disconnect. its got a 2 piece axle shaft on the long side and a vacuum operated coupler instead of locking hubs. when you engage 4 wheel drive it couples the axle together. its gay. another thing to think about with those dodge D60s is that they are 32 spline inners, not 35 spline like a REAL D60.

i still think a plain old D44 would be fine for this guy.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Andy

Thanks for the info...

While I agree that D44/9 would be fine, my problem is that I cannot find EITHER a D44 or D60 front. I can find plenty of rear D60's and 9's, so really at this point, the route I go depends on what front axle I find first.

~Jeff

·
negative creep
8,651 Posts
sounds like you're not looking hard enough, those axles are a dime a dozen. have you tried looking on classifieds like pirates, pavementsucks etc?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts