Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
negative creep
8,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
land lady is giving me shit about driving my bronco and saying that its so loud its going to shake the building down and cause tenants to have anxiety attacks (the other tenants don't care). in an attempt to compromise i've thought about solutions, but since i just bought a new muffler and really like the way it sounds i don't think i'm gonna replace that. thought about adding one of these to my "tail pipe" which is just a recycled 4" semi stack hanging off the back of the muffler. i'm sure it will quiet it down some, but i hope it doesn't make it sound lame.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/DTC-72-32530/

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
it might a little only be restricting the exhaust. Don't have eny experience with it so I can't say for sure.

·
Registered
408 Posts
those need to be placed right at the outlet of the manifold or headers to work best. Will that quiet it down a little? Yeah, but a glasspack would quiet it down much more.

·
Registered
408 Posts
got to thinking again, if she doesn't live in the building and the other tenants don't care then just roll with what you got. Technically, if it is in your lease that the apartments don't allow loud vehicles then they could start some crap. Depending on wording you could get out of it. If it doesn't give a clear definition of what "excessively loud" is then if you fought hard enough you would win. If the vehicle doesn't have a converter and the exhaust doesn't exit behind the passenger cabin (aka, stock location) then you wouldn't stand a chance of fighting it.

I had a situation like that once, i just drove real slow around the apartment and she never bothered me again. I'm talking driving right off idle slow.

Just kiss her ass a little, tell her that her makeup is nice and you'll get what you want.

·
negative creep
8,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
she is a crazy old british lady and she is ugly as ****. when i told her it was street legal and registered she accused me of stealing license plates. i do not like her, and i feel absolutely no desire to compliment her after being called a thief and a liar.

i do idle in the complex, and i don't even let it warm up in the complex in the mornings i just drive it straight out. the only thing in the lease is "tenant agrees to abide by house rules for parking....noise etc" the other tenants do not mind since i have spoken with them about it. one even has a ranger with a loud exhaust and leaves way earlier than i usually do. i guess i could go by the CHP and ask them to do a sound test, but i actually got pulled over yesterday (thought i wasn't wearing a seatbelt) and he mentioned nothing about the noise. its not like its a race motor, its just a stock 351 with a magnaflow muffler that dumps right before the rear axle. a stock dodge cummins is louder.

·
Registered
159 Posts
If the vehicle doesn't have a converter and the exhaust doesn't exit behind the passenger cabin (aka, stock location) then you wouldn't stand a chance of fighting it.
since its an suv the exhaust has to stick out past the body lines so its legal to stick out in front of the wheels as long as its past the body lies, had looked into it on my 1982 when i did the same thing.

·
Premium Member
1,713 Posts
You could get a used Supertrapp and clamp it to the end....Just a thought

·
oscar espinoza
1,538 Posts
Put some cutout on ur truck...open them when going in the parking lot for 2 weeks...after that don't do it anymore andshe won't mind the normal exhaust sound...

·
Ford Tatted On My Chest
1,456 Posts
Just drive slower and keep the RPM down. I have a similar problem kinda, it isn't cause it is loud that they got a problem with, it is that it sounds like I am going faster than I really am. but if i just drive idle speed in second gear, it works fine. maybe you can try something similar?

·
The Anti Yam!
22,680 Posts
she is a crazy old british lady and she is ugly as ****. when i told her it was street legal and registered she accused me of stealing license plates.
Tell her you will not be doing anything about it!
Explain to her the only solution would be to let you out of your lease so you can move somewhere where the owners don't insult there tenants.

Seriously, that chit would piss me off.

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,736 Posts
Some people have nothing better to do. I bet she has like 40 cats, too.

·
Registered
182 Posts
she is a crazy old british lady and she is ugly as ****. when i told her it was street legal and registered she accused me of stealing license plates. i do not like her, and i feel absolutely no desire to compliment her after being called a thief and a liar.

i do idle in the complex, and i don't even let it warm up in the complex in the mornings i just drive it straight out. the only thing in the lease is "tenant agrees to abide by house rules for parking....noise etc" the other tenants do not mind since i have spoken with them about it. one even has a ranger with a loud exhaust and leaves way earlier than i usually do. i guess i could go by the CHP and ask them to do a sound test, but i actually got pulled over yesterday (thought i wasn't wearing a seatbelt) and he mentioned nothing about the noise. its not like its a race motor, its just a stock 351 with a magnaflow muffler that dumps right before the rear axle. a stock dodge cummins is louder.

You may just have to sleep with her to shut her up about it. Take one for the team. You know.. LOL!:haha

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I'd move and then drive by her house every day with a heavy pedal, for life.
+1
+1 for the super trap...you can remove some of the "pieces" dont know what they are called to silence or make louder. mightbe able to run it open for weekend or offroad use.

·
press ALT+F4
4,281 Posts
You may just have to sleep with her to shut her up about it. Take one for the team. You know.. LOL!:haha
Watch the first 5 minutes of Kingpin LOL.

I had a similar problem with a 440 with headers and Purple Hornies in a Charger, so I put on a pair of 1970 Chrysler Imperial mufflers and it was dead quiet but it still shook buildings. Power loss was minimal, but I really liked it so I kept it that way. If you have room for a pair of big mufflers the big Walkers will do the job.
I would mention the cost and ask her of you could get a break on rent... After the "service" of course :/

·
not banned
5,979 Posts
the limeys still owe us for WW one and WW two.
though, try reparking in a different location. sometimes the sound projection is directional.
mj

1 - 20 of 22 Posts