Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After my experince this last weekend I was wondering have any of you ever broke/damaged a rental car? If so what did you do and what did the company do?
Anyways about a month ago my DD got wrecked so finally the insurance company set me up in a rental last wed (ya three weeks talk about horrible service :banghead ) it was a 05 cobalt, decent car, cheeper than the bronco to drive. Well last sat. I'm heading back into town on the 89 and end up running over rock or something. I continue on not thinking anything bad happened everything still seem'd ok, then the engine starts making noise I'm like Great, then I turn into a corner and notice when I move my hand that the oil light is on Crap! So by the time I get to a point I can get off the road the the engine gave up the ghost, that was a pretty sound. I got out and looked under the car and there was a quarter size hole in the pan. Aluminum oil pans arn't very strong. Then starts the nike express, got to a land line, no cell service out there and called their 1 800 number. They sent out a truck and got it picked up, got me back into phx, upgraded me to a better car and sent me on my way:thumbup all in all I learned alot this weekend like, cobalts don't have the same clearance as bronco's on 36's :toothless , there are still some good companys out there and tow trucks are cool. Anyways I'll quit wasting your time for now. Till next time
Slide

·
Zombie Hunter
13,695 Posts
I ALWAYS get the insurance.

My Bronco is mine, i could do whatever i want to do to it. Gimme a rental car with insurance and i would be gearing it up to see what kind of max air time i could get out of it.

My insurance doesn't cover rental car insurance, i usually pay it anyhow. I don't know why, gimme a rental car and i lose all common sense on how to treat a car.

·
ASSSSS-HOOOOOLE
2,442 Posts
Yeah, i get the insurance, but I also get explosive diarrhea A LOT! So I need it.

Yeller

·
Administrator
22,857 Posts
Always...last rental I had was in Hawaii...took out the side of the rental van in one of the parking structures...returned it...handed them the keys and said have a nice day!!!

·
Registered
184 Posts
meh...thats why they call them "rental racers" the focus loner i had from for came back with the exhaust missing.....:duh found out the don't like to go ditch diving. 2nd time i had a loner from the local ford dealer they gave me a brand new v-8 explorer...:toothless didn't even have it a hour and buired it in my buddy's field...:banghead

·
search, you #$%@! noob
9,997 Posts
when you rent and pay with an amex card, they tell you that you should decline the xtra insurance coverage as amex covers you separately...

never had the chance to find out how good their insurance was, hope i never have to.

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
jackhart said:
when you rent and pay with an amex card, they tell you that you should decline the xtra insurance coverage as amex covers you separately...

never had the chance to find out how good their insurance was, hope i never have to.
I travel for a living so I rent about 3 cars a month. I never get the insurance. I always rent with American Express. AMEX's insurance works well and covers down.

I was in an accident a few years back that wasn't my fault and AMEX got the PITA rental car company off my back. They were harassing me because the at fault drivers insurance company was being slow to pay.

FYI-The crash totaled the Turas I was in. I was hit from the rear by a 1 ton delivery van while I was stopped. It push me into the car in front of me. Then them into the car in front of them and then the car in front of them and so on for a total of 5 cars. The loaded van was doing about 30 MPH at the time of impact. Talk about inersia. The Turas was almost 5 foot shorter after the crash.

·
Sway's jealous of my
2,856 Posts
Thread Hijack in progress.

I'm just about to turn 20 but I have rental coverage on the full coverage on my truck. Anyways, the way that rental works is you have to be 21 to rent a car and 25 to have the "adult" lower rates, or at least that is the way I saw it when I was looking into renting when I want to Cali last year. But if I get into a wreck with my truck and need a rental, will I still get one or am I getting hosed by my insurance company for coverage I'm not eiligable to receive?

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
{Jeff foxworthy voice] yes i want that insurance, that little focus is about to see more air time then all of evil kenivel motorcycle's put togther ever saw!!!!![ end jeff foxworthy voice]

I hope if i ever have to rent a car i want a new mustang or new hemi magnum.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I always get the insurance, don't want problems added to my personal insurance record. Not sure about Amex, that sounds like a good deal.

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
I ALWAYS get the rental insurace to boot, I dont trust my own to cover everything, and if something was to happen I dont my MY preminums to go up because of a claim.

·
Practicing Infidel
15,308 Posts
Always get the zero deductible !!!!!!!!!!

I made my visa card people send me all the fine print to make sure their "free" insurance covered my rentals all the way.

Turned out the maximum replacement payment on a vehicle was 25K !!!!!!! I'd been driving 40 K vehicles !!!!!!!!!!

I asked them what could be done, they said nothing. I phoned their client relations line and threatened to move to a rival gold visa, BINGO ! suddenly something could be done and it wouldn't cost a dime !

What freakin' snakes ! I'll bet 1% of the clients knew about the problem and less got the deal !

Sixlitre

·
Registered
43 Posts
i work at a 1 800 number call center for budget, i would say get the insurance, most times like mentions your credit card will cover you, but they usualy only cover liabilty insurance an not loss damage to the rental. over sees insurance is crazy stuff to.

the under 25 thing is usaly like 25 bucks extra per day unless your in new york. there they rape you, your mother, and your dog, under 25 pays an extar 115 bucks per day. :eek:

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
bnkrtstk said:
The most capable and toughest vehicle on Earth is a rental with a damage waiver. :toothless
It's been tempting to find out just how much but I'll have to wait till next time, two in a week they might not like that :toothless

stangmata50l said:
(ever pulled a "James Bond" in your own Honda Accord?)
Care to explain? I drawing a blank.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
i am think 180* about that jame bond and also drive fast and turn fast.

·
Registered
214 Posts
On my honeymoon 8 years ago we rented a Seebring convertable in Vegas, had it for a week. car had 18 miles on it when i picked it up, when i returned it it had a bald front tire, a rod knock the tranny was slipping and the convertable top was broke...... i guess you cant put up the top while going 60........lolololololol.
Best money i ever spent was on that insurance.

·
Zombie Hunter
13,695 Posts
89 Rust Bucket said:
On my honeymoon 8 years ago we rented a Seebring convertable in Vegas, had it for a week. car had 18 miles on it when i picked it up, when i returned it it had a bald front tire, a rod knock the tranny was slipping and the convertable top was broke...... i guess you cant put up the top while going 60........lolololololol.
Best money i ever spent was on that insurance.
When i got rear ended in my dakota a couple years ago, the insurance agent said the rental agent would give me a truck comparable to mine, so that i would not be bothered with a compact.

I get to the rental agency and their "comparable" truck was a 3500 Dodge Ram.....don't know how that compares to a Dakota, but the guy behind the counter asked "do you want the insurance" and i was like "oh hell yea".

I put that Ram to a true test, i still worked at the ski resort at the time, and we were allowed to take our personal cars on the slopes in the summertime if they were capable and we were responsible for damage. I wheeled the shiznit out that sumbitch. Returned it with burned tires, i think i burned up the t-case, and i know i wasn't friendly to the transmission.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts