Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Ex Navy Nuke
5,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I'm gonna be replacing my motor soon(302), I'm lookin into strokers and a 351 swap comparing to see which will be my best option. I'm definitely getting a performance motor and was just wondering if I get a roller motor or any performance motor w/o a knock sensor will that lead to any problems with the computer or anything else? If so what can I do to fix the prob? I REALLY don't want to put a stock 302 back in.

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,858 Posts
If you have a Truck 5.0L computer, you'll need a knock sensor.

But if you are going for high performance, the truck 5.0L computer will go in the trash anyway.
If you get a 351, you'll uswe a 5.8L truck computer, wich doesn't use a knock sensor

B

·
0 Posts
I'm gonna stroke my 302 and will definitely keep the knock sensor. My motor is blown and preignition is a higher probability. The computer will retard timing when the knock sensor sends the signal and could save the motor. I'm stroking to 347 rather than the 351 because I want the knock sensor, want to keep my cam and my edelbrock intake. These three items won't go on a 351.

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,858 Posts
[hint]the A3M1 computer doesn't use a knock sensor ;) [/hint]
That's why I said "Truck" 5.0L computer :brownbag

B

·
0 Posts
:banghead :banghead Crap!, I got a knock sensor hooked-up that my freaking A3M1 doesn't care about! I quit lying to my eek4 and now it won't recognize my knock sensor. BeeeeeeeeYatch!

Oh ya! I'll add it here as Ryan did on another recent post. He has a post on swapping the 351 in for 302. Looking at it I see I would have to modify the exhaust too. The 351 is wider and taller. I'll stick with the 302 and stroke it! Of course I will have plenty of power with my blower. You may want the 351 so yo could stroke it down the road for more power to 393 or blow the 347!!!!!!!!!

http://fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6111

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,858 Posts
Pluse you get better internals with the stroker.
The basic 351 won't be as strong as that stroker kit you found ;)

·
Ex Navy Nuke
5,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So are you saying that if I stroke it I need to change the computer? I was gonna go with a 331 stroker because I've been told some bad things about the 347 (some on here, some I read about). But that was the old 347 where the piston pin hole intersected the oil ring groove, that's not the case anymore so I assume the 331 and 347 should both be fine. I thought the same thing as far as the stroker being stronger than a 351 because I'd be getting a new stroker crank not an offset ground crank and lots of torque.

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,858 Posts
If you get a 347 with mild cam, and low compression, you might be able to use a truck 351 computer.
But more than likely, any stroketr will need a new Mustang MAF computer, and possibly a chip.

No matter what you do, the stock Truck 5.0L computer is trash, and with it goes the knock sensor

·
Ex Navy Nuke
5,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ryan, I've been reading some of your previous threads on this subject and I'm about to try and finish reading your website (at least what pertains to me).
Assuming a 331/347 stroker, it's a given I need a new computer, probably 351 but can I keep the original wiring harness. And how can I use a Mustang computer? Don't I need a computer out of a truck with a 351/E4OD?

·
Ex Navy Nuke
5,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So anyway, can I keep the original harness? Am I gonna be looking for a Lightning computer or truck 351/E4OD; or am I looking at custom programming? Thanks for all the info Ryan I've already learned quite a bit more in the last hour since I posted a reply from reading your site.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts