Discussion Starter #1
4 Lo
4 Hi
I dont wheel

·
Gamble Til We Die
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
When you go 4 wheeling do you use Lo range or Hi range? This is in your typical off road situations. I.E. mud, trails, hills and rocks.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Really it depends on the situation, for just normal wheeling or just driving around in snow its just 4 hi, but if im in some really heavy mud or if im going up an muddy incline or the side of a creek enbankment then ill use 4 lo.

·
Registered
84 Posts
4 lo all the time, unless im just cruising around over 20 mph then ill kick her in high

·
hates EVERYTHING!
11,451 Posts
Your kiddin' right? :twak
I'm gonna move this for ya...not realy a general repair...:beer

·
Gamble Til We Die
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
if i know i will need 4 wheel drive to go through i certain spot, i lock the hubs and put it right in LO. if i dont feel i need the absolute lowest gear possible, i do 2nd gear starts. otherwise, the only time i use 4 HI is when theres snow on the road (not actual 4 wheeling)

·
Gamble Til We Die
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
lets hear your answer blaze, im trying to learn someone

·
hates EVERYTHING!
11,451 Posts
It's like the gears on your shifter...your offered 1st 2nd D and OD for different aps. I use 4LO and 4HI the same way...according to the need...:shrug As many different types of terrain as there is not all recomendations will apply but for our area down south you just use 4HI till ya need 4LO....hell alot of us wheel in 2WD till we need 4...:shrug

Alot of situations like in your area with snow,...just having 4 tires turning is enough, so you dont need 4LO...:shrug
Basicly to sum it up...It depends..:toothless

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
for snow or ices its all 4-hi. for rocks its 4-low. For now you wanna use 4-hi first. you dont want them tires spinning otherwise the snow will ice/slick up on ya and you wont move anywhere. after a bit of trying with that then go into 4-low but try to stay off the gas. just barley get into it, give the tires a chance to bite.

·
hates EVERYTHING!
11,451 Posts
To clarify, I wasn't trying to be an asshole (it comes natural :toothless) but even LargeCar said "all the time...unless" so technicaly it still falls under depends...:shrug
That was kinda my point...if ya wheel very much at all you'll use both..:beer

·
FSB's Resident A$$HOLE
2,644 Posts
when i wheel, whatever it is that im in, i use 4lo 99% of the time. to me i have more control, and can do harder things easier because of the greater reduction and more sensitive accelorator. i think 4lo is the best for wheeling, unless you are doin sand or long mud pits, in which case 4hi is better suited, but i do mainly hillclimbs, rocks, and stuff like that, low speed. for ice and stuff its 4 hi

wes

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
i am usually in 2wd wheelin untill i get to a hairy part then i put it into 4HI and if i cant make it that way i throw it in 4LO

·
Registered
893 Posts
i rarely use 4Lo....actually i'm in 2wd until i need 4wd. :shrug

·
Gamble Til We Die
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i want to know why you would use 2wd until your stuck? you lose all momentum and youll bury yourself and make it harder to get out in 4. just put it in 4 and call it good.

·
Gamble Til We Die
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Right on John! (hey that rhymes)
4 wheeling isnt about flying around at 100 mph. Its about picking the best line and making it without spinning your tires. Although you may think its fun throwing dirt in the air, it ruins the trails. I feel much better knowing i made an obstacle without spinning my tires. It just shows you have better control over your rig and you know what it does. 4 hi is better for sand and mud because you need momentum. I dont consider racing against a clock in a 8 foot mud hole wheeling.

·
user title
2,211 Posts
I'm with the guys who use 2wd. I was always told that if you go in in 4wd, then get stuck you have no options. SO, when on most terrains I use 2wd, then if it looks like I'd need 4wd for a mud pit or hill climb I put it in 4wd just before getting to the obstacle. It's just they way I have always done it...works for me :shrug. But you have to use some common sense with this technique.

I think a lot of ppl are/would be suprised what a good driver (not calling myself a good driver) can do it 2wd.

:beer
Bill

1 - 20 of 54 Posts