Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All
Been doing all kinds of searching on both this site and dodge truck site and can't find an answer.:whiteflag

I'm concidering doing the diesel conversion to mate the 5.9L Cummings with my '85 Bronco I've read the vettboy thread and am concidering on doing it the other way. (dropping the body onto dodge 2500/3500 frame with engine/driveline intact).

This is where my unanswered question lies -- Can anyone tell me what is the frame width of a dodge 2500/3500 truck? Will an '85 Bronco body drop onto their frame?

:beer All and thanks
Rob L

ps. you can bet many pics and a writeup would follow. :chili:

·
Registered
784 Posts
i have no clue what im talking about, but i doubt a bronco body will fit on even a regular cab short box version. longer wheelbase on a pickup.

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
why not go with a Powerstroke? do you want that much weight in the front end? the bronco body wont fit on a truck frame unless you cut it shorter. even then there would be other mods that will have to take place to get the body to bolt to the frame. probably have to drill new holes and chit. but then it would be more like a bronco wannabe.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have a 2003 3500 ram Quad Cab 4x4 Cummins. Frame is 41" wide outer to outer. Frame rails are 3" wide. Keep in mind, the Cummins is HEAVY! My front axle weight is just over 4100 lbs. Although the Powerstroke is only approx. 200 lbs. less. With that said, I would definitely consider a Cummins over a P-Stroke. Parts are cheaper, more available, and they are bullet-proof. I can't say the same about the P-stroke though. The old 7.3L was heavy, but reliable. The 6.0 is close to junk. 2007 will see a completely new Ford diesel. Here is a link from a company just up the road from me that does these types of conversions. Maybe some help. Let me know if you have any Cummins questions.
http://www.fordcummins.com/

Oh, BTW, it's CUMMINS not CUMMINGS! :rofl:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
nuker – Thank You for your information, that is exactly what I was looking for. My Bronco frame is 40” outer to outer with the frame rail at 2.5”. Vettboy stated in his thread that they had to body lift 2-3” to make room for the engine in their diesel conversion, so the difference in frame widths could be made up in the body lift mounts for the Bronco body. I don't see a problem there.

miketrains03: i have no clue what im talking about, but i doubt a bronco body will fit on even a regular cab short box version. longer wheelbase on a pickup.
broncos&bombs: the bronco body wont fit on a truck frame unless you cut it shorter.
Well DUH!!!

The Bronco wheelbase is 104.5” and from the information I got from the Dodge site the 2500/3500 trucks have a wheelbase of 140”, so YES the back end of the frame would have to be cut by 35.5” and the rear axle / cross-members would be moved forward by the same amount to match the Bronco frame dimensions. Yes, new holes would have to be drilled for the new location of the suspension and cross-members. I'd also have to loosen the suspension/axle and pivot the rear axle to adjust the drive shaft angle to match the shorter distance to the transmission.

broncos&bombs: but then it would be more like a bronco wannabe.
WTF! are you talking about?
Since when does a frame/engine/axles make a Bronco? I think that comment goes against everything that this forum is here for.

I see a whole lot of positive in this kind of project...
I'll have my '85 Bronco sitting atop a 5.9L Cummins engine along with the transmission/transfer case/drive line and a ¾ – 1 ton frame / suspension to boot... I see it more plausible than trying to shoe-horn the same engine into a light frame that wasn't made for the application in the first place.

BTW... I did have a P-Stoker a few years back in a F-250 and thought it was a pretty good engine until it dropped two valves and spit them out the side of the block, No Thank You... If I'm going to spend my hard earned money on a diesel engine conversion I'll take the Cummins any day.

wannabe bronco... indeed... go crawl back under your rock...

NUKER - I do have a few more questions for ya, would you rather I PM or E-Mail you?

Rob L

·
crank trigger
8,151 Posts
StarGate2112 said:
nuker – Thank You for your information, that is exactly what I was looking for. My Bronco frame is 40” outer to outer with the frame rail at 2.5”. Vettboy stated in his thread that they had to body lift 2-3” to make room for the engine in their diesel conversion, so the difference in frame widths could be made up in the body lift mounts for the Bronco body. I don't see a problem there.

Well DUH!!!

The Bronco wheelbase is 104.5” and from the information I got from the Dodge site the 2500/3500 trucks have a wheelbase of 140”, so YES the back end of the frame would have to be cut by 35.5” and the rear axle / cross-members would be moved forward by the same amount to match the Bronco frame dimensions. Yes, new holes would have to be drilled for the new location of the suspension and cross-members. I'd also have to loosen the suspension/axle and pivot the rear axle to adjust the drive shaft angle to match the shorter distance to the transmission.

WTF! are you talking about?
Since when does a frame/engine/axles make a Bronco? I think that comment goes against everything that this forum is here for.

I see a whole lot of positive in this kind of project...
I'll have my '85 Bronco sitting atop a 5.9L Cummins engine along with the transmission/transfer case/drive line and a ¾ – 1 ton frame / suspension to boot... I see it more plausible than trying to shoe-horn the same engine into a light frame that wasn't made for the application in the first place.

BTW... I did have a P-Stoker a few years back in a F-250 and thought it was a pretty good engine until it dropped two valves and spit them out the side of the block, No Thank You... If I'm going to spend my hard earned money on a diesel engine conversion I'll take the Cummins any day.

wannabe bronco... indeed... go crawl back under your rock...

NUKER - I do have a few more questions for ya, would you rather I PM or E-Mail you?

Rob L

this sounds like a really cool project, can't wait to see the writeup. i agree about cummins vs psd. much better solution. do you have any cost estimates on this proj? seems to be a weighty one to me. good luck.
btw, don't take some of the negative comments so seriously, it is just the internet (you only encourage more posts by lashing out).:thumbup

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I would love to do this, this seems like a really neat project. If i was going to do it though, i would find a SWB F250, and put the body of the bronco on it. I think this would work better, and you would still have the diesel. I haven't heard too many bad comments about the 7.3 diesels, some people have over 500K with theirs and still runnin'. This would probably be cheaper too, cuz you wouldn't have to cut and chop the frame, and the body would drop right on there.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Yep twin turbo, the idea is to give an overlap design to the turbo system so boost starts from just off idle and carries through to the shift point.

Our customers will be lining up to get them.

Jeff

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
lol, i don't know, especially after all the problems they've been having with the 6.0's. Does anyone know if the new 6.4's are going to be based on the same block as the 6.0's? if they are, i doubt people will really be buying alot of them, i think ford lost alot of customers because of the 6.0.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
yeah, lol...that thing looks like some kind of bug, why are they changing the looks so quick, didn't they just make a new model? i haven't seen too many of those out yet, and they're already comming up with a new one....crazy...

·
Registered
772 Posts
Here is the scoop from inside a dealership as to what happened with the 6.0 episode.

The 6.0 was never supposed to be released when it was, the problem was that the 7.3 was not going to make the cut on emissions that were being clamped down on, so the 6.0 was rushed in to service. The original plan was for the 6.4 right from the get go, but they couldn't make the twin turbo set-up work in time.

The 6.4 today has been offically tested over 1 million kilometers by Ford test vehicles. The feedback is that it will be the best diesel engine ever released by Ford for power,torque and fuel economy.

Every inter dealership mailing we have seen says it is amazing.

As far as the 6.0 goes, the 2003's are junk, the 2004's got better and from then on they are fine. The start sure didn't help the rep of the powerstrock at all.

As far as people leaving Ford to buy other brands over the 6.0, I will tell you this.

I work and live in one of the roughest areas known to auto industry for the conditions that these trucks see. The roughest damn roads, 40 below in the winter and 100 degrees in the summer. Guys that left to go to other brands have pretty much returned because NO vehicle could take the abuse that they saw the Ford handle.

Chevy you can't keep a front end in and the suspensions are too light and too low.

Dodge is a piece of crap from front to back except for an amazing diesel engine, the rest of the truck would make a great planter in your front yard.

If you ever get a chance, go to your local dealership and ask to see the DVD "the truth about trucks" it is made for 1/2 tons, but the build of the new super-duties is very similar in concept. When you see the difference about what people are comparing our vehicles to you will better understand how far Ford is ahead in frame/interior/brake and suspension design.

Time will tell, but I am 100% positive that we will all be proud of that new truck.

Jeff

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
that's neat, i've been to a bunch of different sites and never had it explained that way (didn't even know it was supposed to be a twin turbo). I'll probably never get one unless i get a really good job, or when they're about 10 years old, lol.

·
Registered
59 Posts
EdsonBronco said:
Yep twin turbo, the idea is to give an overlap design to the turbo system so boost starts from just off idle and carries through to the shift point.

Our customers will be lining up to get them.

Jeff
Sounds great in theory. Like any new design, time will tell...
Navistar hasn't been good to Ford, nor their customers.

·
Registered
59 Posts
EdsonBronco said:
As far as people leaving Ford to buy other brands over the 6.0, I will tell you this.

I work and live in one of the roughest areas known to auto industry for the conditions that these trucks see. The roughest damn roads, 40 below in the winter and 100 degrees in the summer. Guys that left to go to other brands have pretty much returned because NO vehicle could take the abuse that they saw the Ford handle.

Chevy you can't keep a front end in and the suspensions are too light and too low.

Dodge is a piece of crap from front to back except for an amazing diesel engine, the rest of the truck would make a great planter in your front yard.

If you ever get a chance, go to your local dealership and ask to see the DVD "the truth about trucks" it is made for 1/2 tons, but the build of the new super-duties is very similar in concept. When you see the difference about what people are comparing our vehicles to you will better understand how far Ford is ahead in frame/interior/brake and suspension design.

Time will tell, but I am 100% positive that we will all be proud of that new truck.

Jeff
I too live in one of the "worst" areas for severe service. I can tell you that when it is -40F, the only trucks starting are Cummins....Glow plugs just plain suck.
Oh, and I know PLENTY of people who have 300,000+ on their Dodge Cummins trucks; with only minor problems. I personally have over 60,000 on my '03 with zero problems. Not saying Dodge is better than Ford or anything, they are both great trucks in their own right. However, to say I need to "plant it in my front yard" is quite frankly, telling me you have never owned a Dodge Cummins. Drive an '06, you will be impressed.

·
Registered
772 Posts
I SAID that the truck is a piece of crap and that the engine was amazing.

I could list off two hours worth the customer complaints from when I was sales manager at two major Chrysler dealerships previous to my Ford experience.

Transmissions,rear ends and lift pumps for a start.

The Ford super-duty had 1.5 years problems related to a design flaw that is now rectified and I have yet to see a -40 no start problem on any customer vehicle.

Jeff

p/s next time you go out to your Dodge push the door all the way open and look at the flex on the inner panel where the hinges attach, now go to a Ford dealership and do the same to a super-duty,then come back and lets discuss how well built that Dodge is.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
nuker said:
Sounds great in theory. Like any new design, time will tell...
Navistar hasn't been good to Ford, nor their customers.
[/QUOTE]
Nothing wrong with International, it was Ford that shot themself in the foot with the 6.0 with all their changes.

I think your making a very goiod choice in going with the 5.9 Cummins over any Ford engine. they havn't made the PSD yet than can keep up with a 5.9 no matter how much its modded, or a bottom end that can hold as much boost as a stock 5.9 does. Its true the 24 valve had some lift pump problems, but I would look for a 12 valve anyways so you can have a mechanical engine and not have to hassle with a computer. If you want a 24 valve there are many aftermarket companies that fixed the lift pump issue.
The Dodge autos were a POS, but Ford's E4OD/4R100 isn't one bit better. Manual is definitely the way to go. The early 5 speeds had a problem of loosing 5th gear, but it wasn't all that common, and its an easy fix if you don't mind dropping the tranny.

EdsonBronco said:
p/s next time you go out to your Dodge push the door all the way open and look at the flex on the inner panel where the hinges attach, now go to a Ford dealership and do the same to a super-duty,then come back and lets discuss how well built that Dodge is.
So you say that video too, eh?

Keep in mind Ford was the ones that priduced it, and if you really watch itm without bias, theres many things theyleft out. All they did was find points where the Ford is stronger and left every other point out.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts