Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This was under another thread, but I figured it would get a few more looks over here. Does anyone know what type of Posi, limited slip or whatever is on this carrier???

Here's a side shot..

This came out of my solid d-44 out of a '78 Bronco. Also, are there any tricks to removing the pinion flange??? How do you keep it from rotating or can this only be done with an impact?? Thanks.

I'm trying to determine if I should keep whatever this is or go with a Truetrac.

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks man, I guess I will just go with the truetrac than.

·
ate lug
88 + 96 broncos, 96 F250
8,757 Posts
i have yet to explode mine! *knocks on wood*

Actually, thats the first ive ever heard that...what kind of conditions caused it to happen? too much tire and power in a bind or something? :shrug

·
Registered
84 Posts
reptillikus said:
i have yet to explode mine! *knocks on wood*

Actually, thats the first ive ever heard that...what kind of conditions caused it to happen? too much tire and power in a bind or something? :shrug
I think i've seen......5 or 6 in the last couple years let go. I haven't really seen a pattern develop of what has been breaking them.....they've mostly been in trucks w/ mild small blocks and 1/2 ton running gear (3 d44's, a couple ford rears, and I think one was in a 10 bolt)....(not that I've ever seen one wheelin' around in anything but 1/2 ton running gear)....
all of this happened here in the NW....just running trail, though most of them seemed to have gone when it was particularily slick out....

the way the tru-trac works, w/ the gears inside like a Quaife/gleason-torsen diff......but from what I've seen, the parts just aren't quite up to the task of the abuse they sometimes see...

just some first-hand observations,
and my $.035 cd

--B

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
yeah the true trac is redesigned. the old style had 2 worm gears. the new ones have three. i have beat mine alot. no probs.

·
Registered
196 Posts
trutrac is not warranteed for large tires
I would use a detroit/no spin

tru trac is an expensive open dif IMO

·
Premium Member
1,463 Posts
Berne said:
if you really plan to wheel it, I would advise against the trutrac.....simply seen too many explode....

if you're stuck on going w/ a posi in a D44.....find a Power-lock...

--Berne
same here find a Power-lock that is not hard on your axles like detroit no-spin does I had detroit in mine when it had that old ttb and I broke 9 axle shafts with 35in tires

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Power lock it is then..Thanks for the input guys.

·
Registered
196 Posts
jermil01 said:
Power lock it is then..Thanks for the input guys.
I have a front Powerlok in my truck

it is pretty good, ut still just a limited slip

·
ate lug
88 + 96 broncos, 96 F250
8,757 Posts
m j said:
tru trac is an expensive open dif IMO
i disagree with that. I have one in the front, and whenever i lift one, the power always goes to the other. or so im told by onlookers. Combine that with the way the TTB "flexes", and i get alot of weird looks from jeepers :toothless

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
i spin both tires to. if one comes of the ground a little E-brake pressure gets both tires spinning again.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts