Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Hmmm....
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you look about one inch past the last spark plug on the drivers side of my truck there is a bolt on the block, and i was wondering if anyone knew if it held in coolant? b/c it "looks" like it is leaking from there, but i am not sure quite yet, does anyone know??

EDIT, after looking in haynes, i guess it is the bolt that holds the head on, would it leak coolant from there?

EDIT#2 I can see coolant on top of the 2nd bolt from the back on the drivers side, its on the washer, is it leaking from the bolt itself or from where do yall think?

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,734 Posts
On most SBF's, the "lower" set of head bolts does indeed go into the water jacket. Coolant seepage past the threads isn't common, but is definitely a known problem. If I were you, I'd try snugging the bolt down a bit, just to see whether it's backed itself out at all. When I say "snug" I mean no more than the rated torque (which I don't know because you've failed to mention which engine you have). Afterwards, wash some water over the bolt, allow it to dry, then see if the leak has stopped by running the engine up to op-temp. If not, you may have to remove the bolt and apply the correct thread sealant & reinstall. Good luck.

·
Hmmm....
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
if its only leaking from bolt or maybe two, then would it be a big deal to just let it leak and refill the coolant? i just replaced the intake manifolds and i dont feel like doing it all again....ugh....

or maybe some stop leak stuff?, b/c its not leaking to incredibly bad???

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,734 Posts
Steve, I know, you are correct sir. :notworthy Having said that, I was just trying to save the guy a LOT of time and aggravation. If it were MY engine, heck yeah, I'd remove everything down to the deck, just to be absolutely sure that the bolt is all that was leaking. Then I'd do the usual checks, like deck flatness, thread chase, etc. At that point, I'd need new gaskets, head bolts, sealant, and so forth. Not to mention all the time required. That's a short list if we assume the heads & deck are to spec's.

Sometimes though, there's no substitution for being lucky. ;)

·
Ex Navy Nuke
5,420 Posts
On the 351W the head bolt doesn't go into the coolant passage(it does on the 302). So assuming it's coming out by the head bolt and not dripping/leaking from somewhere else then it must be the head gasket. Try some of the radiator stop leak(the powder or compressed powder, not the rubber bars-leak crap). I used it on a pretty substantial head gasket leak on my daughter's car and it stopped it completely.

·
Hmmm....
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would like to thank everyone at bars leaks for making a product that makes me happy and leak proof!!!

i put some in and it didnt fix it the first 20 min of driving and i was kinda mad so i drove around after it cooled and leaked some more and then went to wal mart and left it running while i was inside and it has been sitting now for 2 hours or more and i dont see a leak. I am hoping it will stay that way!!! thanks for all the responses here!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts