Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought this Bronco a few weeks ago.. and I've tried to read up on the TV cable stuff.. but dont want to "try" and adjust it only to burn up my trans..

So Heres what I have.. 86 Bronco 4x4 302 EFI with AOD trans 3.55 gears, 31x11.5 tires.. From a dead stop, it seems to shift fine all the way through 3rd.. Quick, firm/medium hard shifts.. The "PROBLEM" is when I'm driving at any speed... 45 mph... 70 mph.. doesnt matter... At ANY speed, once it hits OD, i pretty much have to put the pedal to the floor to get it to down shift. The engine just bogs. Doesnt seem normal to me.. but this is my first bronco and my first small V8.. So I'm asking the pro's

Trans has a leak at the shift linkage input shaft.. and i'm going to do a trans service on it this weekend or next. just to get a fresh filter in it and fresh fluid, though I wouldnt think that would cause this issue. The fluid thats leaking out is a clear red.. not burnt looking.

Any thoughts or input? Advice?

·
Registered
9,816 Posts
I just bought this Bronco a few weeks ago.. and I've tried to read up on the TV cable stuff.. but dont want to "try" and adjust it only to burn up my trans..

So Heres what I have.. 86 Bronco 4x4 302 EFI with AOD trans 3.55 gears, 31x11.5 tires.. From a dead stop, it seems to shift fine all the way through 3rd.. Quick, firm/medium hard shifts.. The "PROBLEM" is when I'm driving at any speed... 45 mph... 70 mph.. doesnt matter... At ANY speed, once it hits OD, i pretty much have to put the pedal to the floor to get it to down shift. The engine just bogs. Doesnt seem normal to me.. but this is my first bronco and my first small V8.. So I'm asking the pro's

Trans has a leak at the shift linkage input shaft.. and i'm going to do a trans service on it this weekend or next. just to get a fresh filter in it and fresh fluid, though I wouldnt think that would cause this issue. The fluid thats leaking out is a clear red.. not burnt looking.

Any thoughts or input? Advice?
That does seem a little off. It should be noted though that the AOD was designed to get into OD as quick as possible and it likes to stay there. They don't downshift as easily as other transmissions. Is there any slack in the TV cable? I presume you haven't checked the TV pressure. You can remove a plug from the test port in the side of the trans and add a gauge to check the TV pressure and set the TV cable.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the feed back! I do not know the pressure of the TV... Nor did I know you could test the pressure.. Or for that matter set the TV cable using a pressure gauge. I am for every intensive purpose... a newb... while I am mechanically capable, I am not familiar with transmissions much. I have searched for TV adjustments.. and I find one that doesnt seem very accurate.. and then the one where you mark the cable and then measure 5/16 of an inch... but neither really seemed like I wanted to try them.. I'd much rather use a pressure gauge.

Thanks for the input.. Any other input or advice? Does anyone know a link or a source of info I could reference for this adjustment? I have a Haynes manual... and its more of a joke that a manual..

·
Registered
9,816 Posts
Might I also recommend an auxillary Transmission filter and cooler if you don't already have one. The filter keeps your transmission squeaky clean and the cooler keeps it cool and happy. The AOD is an extremely sensitive transmission, so clean cool fluid helps.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
^^ That sounds like a great Idea.. i'll try searching for a kit.. or a write up of parts.. When installing a cooler and filter.. are there any worries about getting air bubbles or anything like that?

·
Super Moderator
26,031 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Miesk, I was actually reading that one last night. When should it be shifting? And what throttle % am I looking for these shift points at? I did a tune up on it today, fuel filter, plugs, oil change and Air Filter.. the old plugs where white (think that means its been running lean).
After I got done, I took it for a drive.. when I'm running 45mph and its in OD, I can give it gas and it just bogs... no increase in speed, if so, very little. It wont accelerate until i get a little over 3/4 throttle and then it finally kicks down. Its a little better at 65mph... but still bogs and accelerates slowly..
For Example... driving over the Arkansas River bridge (long, not real steep), I can have the pedal about 3/4 throttle and its bogging and just slowing down... I have to get in the gas to get it to kick down just to maintain speed.. of course, once it shifts, it wants to accelerate.
Sounds like this rig has some issues... or Maybe its just a 302.. Idk.. but doesnt seem right to me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Any word on the fix yet my truck it's an 351 and doing the same idk why I didn't know if its the tranny or fuel I know I have good air and exhaust but didn't know if I was shooting enough fuel not real good on trans

1 - 12 of 12 Posts