Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The mechanic that has had my truck since friday is trying to replace the intake gasket on my 88 FSB w/ a 351. The job should only take about a day but I still dont have it back. He said I had 4 broken bolts (head bolts?). To drill them out took a while. Today he calls me and tells me that it is back together and he will let me pick it up after he test drives it. He calls me back an hour later and tells me that my fuel injectors are leaking. Is this a fairly common issue or is this something thathe should have taken care of when replacing the intake gasket??

I just want my truck back.

:wtf

·
Registered
13,891 Posts
Guessing by your thread here, you're just kind of going along with what the guy says, just to get it back, right? Don't. The mechanic's workin you - did you authorize him to drill the alleged head bolts? Did he even call you about the bolts, BEFORE he drilled them out? Ask to see the broken bolts. If he gives an excuse to why he can't produce them, do whatever it takes to get your truck out, and never talk the guy again. If you let him repair and/or replace the leaking injectors (are they ALL leaking, or just one of them?), then who knows where it'll stop

·
Registered
809 Posts
I understand your suspicion of mechanics. The guy i was using cut into the frame just to fit exhaust manifolds i was going to replace anyway. A trusted mechanic is more valuable than a good doctor...and MUCH harder to come by.

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts
beequewl said:
I understand your suspicion of mechanics. The guy i was using cut into the frame just to fit exhaust manifolds i was going to replace anyway. A trusted mechanic is more valuable than a good doctor...and MUCH harder to come by.
Amen to that.
No sooner do I find a reliable machanic I trust, and he takes off.

danmick, you must have heard wrong. the mechanic has no reason to remove the valve cover, so he would have no idea any headbolts were broken. What more likely happenned was he broke 4 intake bolts, how he could have broke 4 is beyond me but I would believe that first. Then he took the head/heads off to fix it. I think he should have informed you before removing a head. Now why are the injectors leaking? how did that suddenly happen? This all sounds weird.

·
0 to hero in 94563.1 sec
801 Posts
im sure he means intake bolts, and if they broke the mechanic used the old ones which he shouldnt,OR he went to put the intake back on and snapped a intake bolt in the head then tried to remove the head and started snapping them

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,712 Posts
First off, I'm not sure why this guy would be doing anything with your head bolts if he was changing an intake gasket. He would not have had to do anything with the heads. Do you know which gasket it was on the intake, the upper or the lower. I could see the lower bolts breaking but not the uppers, mine were in horrible condition when I rebuily my motor and none of them broke. My advice would be to collect you rig and find another mechanic,

danmick said:
The mechanic that has had my truck since friday is trying to replace the intake gasket on my 88 FSB w/ a 351. The job should only take about a day but I still dont have it back. He said I had 4 broken bolts (head bolts?). To drill them out took a while. Today he calls me and tells me that it is back together and he will let me pick it up after he test drives it. He calls me back an hour later and tells me that my fuel injectors are leaking. Is this a fairly common issue or is this something thathe should have taken care of when replacing the intake gasket??

I just want my truck back.

:wtf

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I knew i had leaking valve cover gaskets and authorized him to replace them when i dropped the bronco off. He said he wouldn't charge me any more labor for the broken bolts. I am just wondering if replacing the o-rings on the injectors was something that a semi-capable mechanic would have recommended while he was resealing me intake??

·
FSB warrior
6,113 Posts
Maybe he noticed they were leaking because he was looking for coolant/vacuum leaks after test driving it. Did you find out if they were head bolts or intake bolts???

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
This broken bolt thing does not make any sense. There is no need to remove heads or head bolts for anything you are talking about. He might have broken intake manifold bolts but I've seen skilled mechanics get 3 broken bolts out in less than ten minutes. 4 bolts should take less than 15 minutes.

Get your car and take it to another mechanic. Not a Pep Boys or Jiffy Lube but an independent place.

·
Repo'd
1,570 Posts
danmick said:
Not yet. They just opened and he is currently busy with another customer. I missed his call last night and am waiting for him to call me back

Umm correct me if I am wrong. If he took off the intake to reseal is, he had to remove the injectors, If he took them out, he must have messed up the seals.

Hmmmmmmmmmm. Everything sound alright up to there. Things happen when your workin on a rig, We all know that. I can see him breaking off bolts and having to replace them. just my buck and a quarter

·
Ex Navy Nuke
5,421 Posts
No, all he had to do was disconnect the 2 fuel lines(supply and return) at the back of the intake and leave the fuel rail in place still hooked up to all the injectors. But like was already said the injectors may have already been leaking and he noticed it when looking for a leak after putting it all back together. He probably meant 4 intake bolts that bolt the lower intake to the head. Find out if the injector leak he's talking about is just an o-ring issue.

·
Registered
149 Posts
danmick said:
He broke 4 intake bolts and replaced them. There was a fuel leak after he put it back together so he went back in and replaced the injector o-rings. He didnt even charge me any additional labor. Truck runs great
I hope you learned a valuable lesson here. First, you didn't have your facts straight when you started this thread, and then you got about 10 second guesses about how you were getting ripped off. If you're not sure if the guy is on the level, then tell him you'll come down so he can show you the problem before you will authorize repairs-he probably will be pissed you tied up his bay for that time, but at least you'll know what he's referring to. My .02.
Rick

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,712 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Dallasbronco said:
I hope you learned a valuable lesson here. First, you didn't have your facts straight when you started this thread, and then you got about 10 second guesses about how you were getting ripped off. If you're not sure if the guy is on the level, then tell him you'll come down so he can show you the problem before you will authorize repairs-he probably will be pissed you tied up his bay for that time, but at least you'll know what he's referring to. My .02.
Rick
That is not exactly correct. I authorized him to get the job done when i dropped it off. At no point in time was he ever waiting for me to ok extra work. He told me there were 2 broken bolts on saturday (when i originally was expecting the truck back), 2 more on monday, then o-ring leaks on tuesday. My question was whether or not the o-rings were something that he originally should have taken care of when he was replacing the intake gasket.

What was originally quoted as a 4.5 hr. job has turned into a 5 day ordeal. I began to question his abilities and knowledge as anyone with my lack of mechanical knowledge would. I will thank you to not chastize someone for trying to better their understanding of a subject.

As far as wrong info, i couldn't completely understand which bolts he said had broken since his english is very broken but i understood that after almost 20 years bolts break. As I was getting info, i was relaying it to you. I am not very knowledgable mechanically so I am turning to you guys for advice with the hopes that I can learn more about my bronco which I absolutely love.

Thanks everyone for their input.

·
Registered
149 Posts
danmick said:
That is not exactly correct. I authorized him to get the job done when i dropped it off. At no point in time was he ever waiting for me to ok extra work. He told me there were 2 broken bolts on saturday (when i originally was expecting the truck back), 2 more on monday, then o-ring leaks on tuesday. My question was whether or not the o-rings were something that he originally should have taken care of when he was replacing the intake gasket.

What was originally quoted as a 4.5 hr. job has turned into a 5 day ordeal. I began to question his abilities and knowledge as anyone with my lack of mechanical knowledge would. I will thank you to not chastize someone for trying to better their understanding of a subject.

As far as wrong info, i couldn't completely understand which bolts he said had broken since his english is very broken but i understood that after almost 20 years bolts break. As I was getting info, i was relaying it to you. I am not very knowledgable mechanically so I am turning to you guys for advice with the hopes that I can learn more about my bronco which I absolutely love.

Thanks everyone for their input.
Danmick, trust me, you weren't being CHASTISED. The point I was trying to make to you was that by getting your facts wrong a bunch of people responded making incorrect assumptions base on erroneous info and the thread serves no function except for you to THINK you are being cheated.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts