Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
The Anti Yam!
22,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does your 80-86 Bronco have a strange rattle coming from the tailgate area that you cant seem to track down. Is it a high pitched tinny sound, that only happens at certain RPM's, or under certain acceleration/deceleration?

Unable to track it down?

Been driving you nuts?

Perhaps it's your rear valance/rear apron/bumper gap filler/finishing panel/thingy mabob....

Ok, so I don't actually know what it's called, but on an 80-86 with a smoothie bumper it goes between the bumper and the body and fills in the gap between the two.

Looks like this.

And if it's bone stock factory it will rattle to high heaven, but only sometimes.

The fix is super easy, paint the backside of it with about a can of ruberised undercoating and put peal and seal on it where it contacts the frame and bumper brackets. I also put some in the center to add a bit more mass to that area.

Then just slide it back into place and no one will ever know anything was done. :thumbup

A little close up view for you 87-96"rs that have no idea what I am talking about.

·
Premium Member
9,990 Posts
You know there was a thread on this subject just recently Brother, why not move it there, no?

Good Luck ~ :thumbup

·
Registered
457 Posts
I often wondered if that was the culprit, the sound is awful in my Bronco because I don't have the vinyl flooring or insulation anymore.

·
Premium Member
9,990 Posts
Gacknar:

Poll: Does your Tailgate Rattle? by jowens 1126, dtd 11/16/2001 I'm not sure how to copy the link thing, highlight and copy, paste...IDK....?

Good Luck ~ :thumbup

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
interesting its metal, on the 87+ its plastic and mine is long gone

·
The Anti Yam!
22,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm not sure how to copy the link thing, highlight and copy, paste...IDK....?
Really, you have over 5,000 posts but cant copy a link?

Seriously?

Do you want to learn how or are you joshing me?

·
Premium Member
9,990 Posts
Gacknar I'm 62 years old and that's how I roll, copied and pasted for ya what are your fingers broken...? j/k....lol lol....OK pm me :histerica :histerica :histerica

·
Super Moderator
26,998 Posts

·
Screw the Jeep Thing
4,522 Posts
my 84, 85 and 86 had the plastic gab filler peice. But they where all step bumpers.

·
Registered
54 Posts
lol I thought this thread was going to be about the exhaust shield rattling.
My valance doesn't rattle but the original one did.:toothless
Oh Gawd, I haven't gotten the motivation up to fix that shielding rattle. Heck, I still haven't touched anything on the truck except the basic maintenance. If I fix that rattle I will probably end up pulling the exhaust to replace it, and fix the stupid leak. I've been too lazy this year. :histerica

1 - 15 of 15 Posts