Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
....just got home to find that my 100 lb dog ate a small/regular bag of dark chocolate m&ms....clled the vet of course she said come in emergently........I told her I couldn't come in so she said to give him 6 tsp of hydrogen peroxide to make him puke.....anyone else have experience with this?.....Iwould think for his size he should be ok ....but anyway off to the drug store.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
286 Posts
Mine ate a bar once and our vet told us that it only takes 2 ounces of chocolate to kill a 20lb dog

Mine was a pomeranian weiged 14lb and ate a whole bar and he was fine no vomiting or nothing

But please dont take this as advice just my experience
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,103 Posts
How long ago was it? Is the dog showing signs of being sick? Chocolate reacts differently in different dogs.... making the dog throw up could be helpful but watching the dog for adverse reactions is the most important thing. Not suprisingly on FSB, this has been talked about before... hope your dog is okay!

http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54769&highlight=chocolate
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dog is fine ...ate it about 3 hours ago. I called my vet back home , they said that m&m type chocolate isnt that bad...it needs to be pure chocolate.......thanks for the link to previous threads...I haven't looked on it yet but if I remember correctly I think Mike2's dog ate some and wanted more.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,103 Posts
Yup, you woudla known by now. 3 hours and its already digested. I think your pup will be fine. Yeah, Mike2s dog was a chocoholic I do believe..... glad to hear hes okay.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,615 Posts
i give my dog choclate all the time, he hasnt croaked yet. i wouldnt worry too much about it. yrs ago when i used to partake in herbal smokage, i had been toking up and got up to take a wiz and left my nearly ful bag of green(1/4) on the couch, i came back and the dog i had at that time had eaten all most the whole bag , about 10 min later he was jumping all over the place, running in circles for about 45 mins and then he laid down, his breathing was very heavy and labored. at first it was very comical due to our condition's but i became very worried for him. but he didnt o.d. and die. i dont think you will have too much to worry about.
 

·
Lick my
Joined
·
2,086 Posts
I had an English Springer Spaniel that ate chocolate any chance he got. If it was in the house and not hidden away or locked up, he'd eat it. He lived 14 years without a problem.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
565 Posts
The worst chocolate a dog can get into is those concentrated unsweetened or semi sweet baking chocolate squares (real bitter shit, mess your dog up ) It is the caffeine mostly and theobromides also.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
565 Posts
ask a vet if they think giving a dog m&m's is a good idea...seriously.

First of all nobody is advocating giving chocolate to a dog all though there is more than anecdotal evidence that tons of dog handlers use M&M's in dog shows. The most important thing to remember is that chocolate is not the enemy, the enemy is primarily the caffeine contained in the chocolate and to a lesser degree theobromides. M&Ms have almost none of these two compounds in them, lets face it m&ms are cheap shitty candy with out much cocao in them.

By the way what does the "seriously" at the end of your statement bring to the party, what were you hoping to communicate with that? Of course a vet would say not to feed your dogs chocolate, he will also tell you it would take more than a bag of m&ms to do any harm. Your vet will also tell you not to feed your dog people food and that does stop a soul from giving into to their dogs manipulative ways. To top it off your vet will tell you to bring your dog in and charge you an arm and a leg when there isn't dick he can do for your dog in that instance and knowing that your dog is likely to be fine, vets are a business first!
 

·
crank trigger
Joined
·
8,150 Posts
well, not all vets are business first...seriously. (sorry, couldn't help it).
that is interting info about m&ms, thanks. still won't give them any regardless of their mind controls.
there was a poster about who said he gives his dog choc all the time. he might want to rethink that practice.
 

·
search, you #$%@! noob
Joined
·
9,995 Posts
First of all nobody is advocating giving chocolate to a dog
really?
i give my dog choclate all the time, he hasnt croaked yet.
:popc1:

though there is more than anecdotal evidence that tons of dog handlers use M&M's in dog shows.
why, because you said so? i go to the westminster dog show every year, i've yet to see anyone give their dog an m&m. give me a link please. :popc1:

M&Ms have almost none of these two compounds in them, lets face it m&ms are cheap shitty candy with out much cocao in them.
hmm, i don't recall giving a reason why you shouldn't give m&m's to a dog. but thanks for assuming. :thumbup

By the way what does the "seriously" at the end of your statement bring to the party, what were you hoping to communicate with that? !
it means i don't take it lightly. giving some unsubstantiated comment by you about random dog handlers at dog shows giving dogs m&m's implies it's ok to do it. i have a problem with that. seriously. :smilie_slap

Of course a vet would say not to feed your dogs chocolate, he will also tell you it would take more than a bag of m&ms to do any harm. Your vet will also tell you not to feed your dog people food and that does stop a soul from giving into to their dogs manipulative ways.
hmmm, maybe you DO get it...;)

To top it off your vet will tell you to bring your dog in and charge you an arm and a leg when there isn't dick he can do for your dog in that instance and knowing that your dog is likely to be fine, vets are a business first!
obviously you have had a very negative experience with your vet. i'm sorry about that. but not everyone has had that type of experience. in fact, i have had the exact opposite. my dog owes his life to my vet - had his skull crushed when he was bitten by another dog as a pup. had a neurosurgeon work on him and everything. today, besides the plate in his head, he's a very healthy, happy dog. who does not eat m&m's. :beer

(i'll try to scan a pic after his surgery, it's kind of amazing).
 

·
Formerly vt89gtvert
Joined
·
2,425 Posts
I have seen a bunch of professional dog handlers at dog shows give m and m's to the dogs to keep em doing what they want.
I used to give my dog Peanut Butter M&Ms. He would eat the living crap out of them (never heard of a dog liking PB befor....). Maybe this is what they are giving them:shrug
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,108 Posts
The worst chocolate a dog can get into is those concentrated unsweetened or semi sweet baking chocolate squares (real bitter shit, mess your dog up ) It is the caffeine mostly and theobromides also.
:stupid

Bakers chocolate is the worst for a dog, but still takes a decent amount to harm a dog.


Your 100lb dog is fine with a bag of M&Ms. The whole dog and chocolate thing is an extremely over inflated thing... We've got a 240lb English Mastiff that ate an entire 5lb hershey bar, and the only thing it did was give the ****er bad gas... stunk the house up for a week with the foulest gas you could possibly imagine.

Of course, we got home and found that he'd munched the entire bar (he knocked over a fridge to get to it) and freaked, called the vet and got her answering machine. She was his breeder, so naturally as soon as she got the message she raced right over before knowing what happened. When she got there and discovered what happened, all she could do was laugh and swat the pooch for knocking the fridge over.

She told us that it's generally a scam by vets to get you to pay to have an emergency treat done, and that it would take a decent amount of bakers chocolate, or cocoa mulch that contains the much higher levels of theobromides to harm a dog.
 

·
Lick my balls
Joined
·
13,023 Posts
I used to give my dog Peanut Butter M&Ms. He would eat the living crap out of them (never heard of a dog liking PB befor....). Maybe this is what they are giving them:shrug
Dogs love peanut butter. Cover your crotch with the stuff and you will find out for yourself.:thumbup

I would never give a dog candy of any kind.
 
1 - 20 of 39 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top