Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone who has ever sat in a Bronco rear seat knows it's about the most uncomfortable seat ever designed for humans. It's even worse for dogs... Since we never use our rear seat for humans anyway, I removed it. But our dog likes to look out the windows as the world goes by, and laying on the floor wasn't cutting it.

I wanted to build a platform at a height that would allow our dog to see out the windows while sitting or laying down, and still have room to stand. This would also allow for some storage under the platform. Broncos don't have a whole lot of extra space, and I wasn't using what I had efficiently. This project could kill two birds with one stone.

I decided to make use of the three factory seat mounting points rather than re-inventing the wheel.

I started with the front anchor points by drilling some 1/4" flat stock for the pins.

These got some 1" square tube 'legs'.

In place:

I built a basic frame for the platform the width of the cargo area, tieing in the front and rear anchor points and adding a couple of legs in the rear corners to spread the load.

I removed the bar the stock seat latch attached to and used some flat stock for a rear mounting point.

Next up was the 'seating' surface. I cut a piece of 1/2" birch ply to the proper dimensions.

Added some 1/2" foam padding.

And some indoor/outdoor carpet.

Finished...

Still needs paint, but I've got a couple other projects to paint, so I'll do them all at once.

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
16,550 Posts
Happy looking pup!

Did you do anything about the lowered footwell under the front of those storage tubs?

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
16,550 Posts
Nvm, I see you have the seats fairly far back into that space.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Happy looking pup!
Actually, she was a little concerned about the thunderstorm passing through... she doesn't care much for thunder... :p

Did you do anything about the lowered footwell under the front of those storage tubs?
There's a bar across the front to keep the bins from sliding forward, even with the forward mounts. The platform overhangs that space by a few inches, but it's mostly still a useable storage area.

·
Premium 4 Lyfe - Way Back Staff
'95 XLT: 5.8, MAF, E4OD, 4.56's, 6" on 33's
38,359 Posts
That's fantastic man. I know Banshee loves our platform.

She's a little smaller, so the platforms a little larger (PO built) but we still have a back seat for the occasional extra passenger and lots of stuff stuck up underneath. Great spot for the speaker box and cuts the theft potential down dramatically, when I'm in the big city without my "guard dog". I can also keep the rear window about 1/2 height and she can stick her mellon out and smile at everybody behind us. ;)

·
Registered
'92 Custom w/ '95 MAF 5.0 M/T, 33's, 4.10 LSD
3,455 Posts
I am going to do a "box" behind my seat so when the top is off it will keep the honest people out.
Pretty sure it's not the honest people you have to worry about...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.