Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,651 Posts
Iams and Pedigree are both excellent products. I have never heard an complaints from users of Science Diet and have never heard of them using roadkilll or euthanised animals. This is coming from my prior to the service role as a Assitant manager for a PetSmart. We had alot of info and spoke to the reps alot. Pedigree does extensive research into animal nutrition. Just my two cents...

·
Sway Is My Fan Club.
11,920 Posts
While we're on dog food - what's your dog's weight, and how much/often do you feed them?

Harley is about 60 pounds and I give her 3-4 cups in the evening. She's not real active though, cause some days I'm not well enough to play with her much.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Crazed said:
I have been doing some studying on dog food, and have found that Science diet is not what it is said to be...I am getting rid of my pups food, and switching him to Nutro...(supposed to be the best chain store food)

Just thought some of you with pets would like to know

I could've told you that if you asked....:thumbup The store I've worked for for the past couple of years is a big Nutro Retailer, we sell everykind of food they make. Nutro is the best bar-none. My dog may be an ass...but he gets fed only the best.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Everyone has his or her own opinion of dog food. Plain and simple I've heard a defense for every type. Personally I prefer Nutro Natural Choice and all of my dogs are on it. Science Diet, Iams, Eukanuba are all considered premium foods. However, read the ingredients there is a lot of corn, wheat, and by-products. A basic starting point is the three main allergies of dogs are corn, wheat, and beef. Most dog foods use either chicken, lamb, or beef as their main meat. On the back of the bag, all ingredients are listed from the largest percent in the food to the least. So chicken as the first ingredient means chicken is the most plentiful ingredient in the food. Like in humans corn is hard to digest and passes straight through the digestive tract. Corn gluten meal is more digestible, but still a main cause of allergies. Animal fat is a disgusting product formed when the dead animals (can include euthanized pets, road kill, and other dead animals) are heated up and start to separate, main stuff is turned into what is called bone and meat meal (Check what Ole Roy uses as its main ingredient) and the oil and mush that separates is what is generally used as animal fat. There are a ton more factors that go into pet foods and while some of the meat factories are FDA approved, very few meat products in pet for are FDA approved, instead they are AFFCO approved which doesn't mean much. Anyhow, foods with lots of bone/meat meal, corn, wheat, and by-products are very hard to digest and leave more for the owner to pick up. Foods that use actually meat meal like chicken meal not chicken by-product are up to 3x more digestible...3x less waste. Also, by-products are anything humans don't eat aka beaks, feathers, toes, ears..and poultry can be a variety of domesticated birds..not just chicken. In all I think Nutro Natural Choice (max is ok too) is a good food, Natural Balance is a very good food, and Solid Gold (Hound-N-Flocken) is a great food.

::edit:: I should say that through all the crap I typed above..if your Dog does good on any type of food and you're happy, then there really isn't a need to change. Some dogs do good on one type, and others may not.

·
Premium Member
4,651 Posts
yeah but no matter what you feed them, you can't get them to stop licking their butts...by the way....I was trying to remember all this shit from over six years ago and I have killed a few brain cells since then...just go down to the local Humane Society and get a whole gaggle of baby kittens and feed them that!:thumbup

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have a chocolate lab and I feed him based on the B.A.R.F. [bones and raw food] diet. I put about 3 cups of generic Kroger dog food and add canned vegetables, beef, raw turkey necks, chicken, eggs etc. that is all approved for human consumption. None of the ingredients in dog food are approved for human consumption. My dog's breath is much better, his coat is perfect, great muscle tone, clean teeth, and little poop in the yard. It is expensive to start, but once you start buying in bulk it's not bad. Some people switch completely to B.A.R.F. but I keep mixing it in with regular dog food, just in case I don't have time to mix up a meal that day, he can be fed about 5 cups of regular food.

Just my $.02

Mark

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
BroncoBabe said:
While we're on dog food - what's your dog's weight, and how much/often do you feed them?

Harley is about 60 pounds and I give her 3-4 cups in the evening. She's not real active though, cause some days I'm not well enough to play with her much.
In May Hunny was a whooping 69 pounds, she's a lab/golden retriever mix and she was FAT. So I started taking her to the farm EVERY day and she's lost TONS of weight. Haven't been able to weigh her though. One day I went to put her harness on and it was way to big for her! She had lost at least 6" around her girth in just a couple months. She's a LOT more active now and loves our 3 mile walks and running around at the farm.
She gets fed 1 cup, twice a day, otherwise she gains it all back. She has been on Dad's (the maintenance dog food) I believe it is for several months and has been doing well on that.
And soon she'll be in training for bird hunting. :thumbup

·
USAF Veteran
2,975 Posts
my american bulldog weighed in at 120 when i last saw her in july. she's been eating 6 cups of ol roy a day since i got her last christmas. after reading this, i think i'll be changing her food when i return from this hell-hole. btw, she is all muscle, except for a lil bit of fat on her chest.

·
scrounger extrordinaire
4,775 Posts
i got 2 akita. male is 160-170 depending on the season. female is 85-100, again depending on time of the year. i have a park near with miles of nature trails. we walk everyday there or somewhere, rain or shine, wind or snow. i go thru 40 pounds of pedigree every 2 weeks or so roughly. walmart, $14 or less. sometimes you get 50 pound bonus bags. they crap solid and regular. they always have had a full bowl so i dont know what they eat daily. today they had a big pork steak each. sometimes we go out for a burger or tacos. they like a little variety & i like to share. i mix in a can of something every now and then. scrambled eggs. oh if there is something i made that i can make a gravy from, they get gravy on the food. cookies, chips, grapes & bananas (female only), chicken... spicy mexican stuff too. oh well, they arent fat at all, the male comes from big stock and the female is a runner. i swear she could be trained for bird dog duty. AXE

·
Registered
261 Posts
My girlfriend and I have one year and a half old Sheapard mix named Frankie. She is right around 55 pounds. Very smart dog, too smart for her own good as we have been asked to leave traning class twice. She gets all the other dogs riled(sp?) up and knows whether you have a treat for her or not. No food = No listening to command. She is very loyal to me and will do for the most part what I ask, but is very stubborn to most other people except my girlfriend. She's a lover though and super submisive to other dogs. Our other dog is a 6 month old retriever mix named Layla that is at around 40 pounds and growing very fast. Layla will do anything to please anyone; I've never had a dog like her before she lives to please people. They eat mainly nutro dry but are spoiled and get more than their fair share of table scraps, their favorite is potatoe chips. Both are rescued, Frankie and 5 other in her litter were abandonded on an indian reservation to die, and one of my friends picked them up. The entire litter looked like little brown/grey cayotes except for Frankie and one other. Layla was dumped off in front of the store that I work for and we picked her up before animal control got there.

Frankie and Layla (Through a screen door..only way to get them to sit still for a decent picture. More on my superford site)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts