Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm not sure if I'm in the correct form, but me and the girl have been looking for a dog because we're moving into a place out in the middle of now where. We're looking for a Great Dane. We really like the breed and would like to have our own. The problem is we're having trouble finding one. If anyone could shed a little light on somewhere to look it'd be great. We live in Western NY and we're willing to travel for he right dog. Sorry for the long post and rambling. thanks everyone.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
I know in ma. there's a adoption place just for GD, people get the dog and don't realize how much attention they need or they just get too big too fast,there great dogs, I'll ask my sister about this, she works with greyhounds adoption in ma.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah I've been on there thanks. The one shelter is mid-Atlantic rescue and I tell you what I won't do any thing through them. This lady called me and basically made it seem like I don't know what a dog is or how to raise them. She was just a B***h to me and had a serious attitude. She was the chair for the New York chapter and she said that I live to far away for her. So basically I'm SOL with that company.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
my sister suggust give these two a call

Suzanne Kelley, (508) 695-5910
Dianne Powers - (508) 693-1402

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
Yeah I've been on there thanks. The one shelter is mid-Atlantic rescue and I tell you what I won't do any thing through them. This lady called me and basically made it seem like I don't know what a dog is or how to raise them. She was just a B***h to me and had a serious attitude. She was the chair for the New York chapter and she said that I live to far away for her. So basically I'm SOL with that company.
We got a lot of that shit before we adopted our last dog. I think buying a house was an easier process. I eventually told them to shove it, and we found a great local rescue that was more than happy to let us rescue a dog.

I've seen GD's show up at our local animal shelter, you guys might want to try cruising through there weekly or so.

We were also set on a breed and ended up bringing home an adorable mutt and we couldn't be happier with him.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I would also keep an eye on Petfinder.com (assuming it covers your area) and craigslist. We adopted one dog from each of those sites.

·
I did all for the Nookie
7,252 Posts
I don't know if you have Kiiji.com but they have pet listings.

·
Master of the Estate
3,789 Posts
There's a breeder in Peterborough NH who does training also. My mechanic's secretary/ex-wife just got a new one a few months ago.
PM Me if you want more info.

·
Sway Is My Fan Club.
11,916 Posts
I don't know what it is with some of those rescues that think they're God when it comes to placing a dog. I was looking at Blue Heeler rescues and couldn't believe the "application process" for a damn dog. I was like, are you kidding me?! I can understand wanting to make sure the dog will be taken care of and won't be tossed out on the street...but geez. Its probably easier to adopt a kid, haha.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I agree with you guys, some of the adoption places are crazy. We have been checking the local shelters and haven't found anything yet. I think we might have found a dog tho. I was searching Craigslist yesterday and found a 5 month old Great Dane/St. Bernard Mix. "Bernadanes" one cool as looking dog. got the height of a great dane but the size and head of a St. Bernard but NO DROOLING. which is a serious perk. I sent them an email so I don't know what will turn out. Keep up the help tho guys incase this doesn't work out. Thanks again.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'll be picking up a 5 month old "Bernadane" on saturday morning. couldn't pass him up after the pictures. I gotta figure out how to post pictures so I can show the pictures I got from the lady and New ones when we get him home.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So we picked him up this morning. He's amazing. real good dog. Still a whole lot of puppy in him. The lady that had him didn't do much with him, but he's super smart and he learned how to sit for a treat, lay down, load up into the truck, come to his new name(kinda, he didn't know his name they gave him so we changed it.) working on it.

So now with the pictures. This is HANK

http://www.supermotors.net/registry/media/795896

Hope I did that right. There's also one of my mom's new English mastiff in there.

·
Driving Stuff Henry Built
-90 xlt, 351w, e4od, man 1356, 3.55, sag, warn hubs, 35s. -73, 400, np435, d20j twin, 35s
8,079 Posts
Very cool looking dog. Congrats. :thumbup

We were in contact with some of the goofy rescue groups as well. It seemed like many were more about themselves rather than finding homes for the dogs. Eventually we got a dog from a Saint rescue that was more normal. She is a Saint/Aussie mix. Also not a drooler. Most of the time she looks sort of like a giant Aussie, but when she gets playful she's more of a mini Saint. We think she'd been on the street for quite awhile & it took a bit for her to adjust. She's fine now.

It looks like you've found a good one. Again, congrats. :thumbup

1 - 19 of 19 Posts