Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all id like some opinions on something. I just got back a little bit ago from picking our dog up. He got loose, went under the fence of his pen (amazing becauses hes a big ol husky). Hes gotten out four other times before. He has gotten a little more aggressive the past year or so also. This time police and animal control were involved because he wandered up to a bus stop with a bunch of middle schoolers. One of the kids tryed to grab our dog so he could look at the license to see who owned him. Cop said the dog growled at the kid etc. So me and my brother went to pick our dog up. In the process of getting him in my truck the cop asked the kid to come over to talk to him to ask him if we was bitten or not. Our dog went nuts once he saw that kid, in the process he almost bit my brother twice, not real bad though as my brother tryed to protect himself. The animal control guy gave us an option if we want to have him put down. My brother wants to go through with it because he says hes afraid if he gets out again and hurts someone else. I can see where hes coming from, but I just cant see taking our dogs life :cry

·
Administrator
22,857 Posts
thats a tough call...we had to have our dog put down when she started snapping at the baby...not going to risk a childs life over an animal...but it wasnt an easy decision to make.

·
Premium Member
556 Posts
i have experienced that often times when one of my shepherds began acting overly aggressive, it was ususally caused by something at home. whether it be a distraction, or lack of attention, lack of discipline, change of routine or whatnot.
one of my dogs began to act out and was quite a bother. she was slightly nuts. my vet recommended taking her to more obedience classes. we went through the motions with that and it worked out to our benefit. she is occassionally nippy. but not bad. she is good with the baby and others, and hasn't shown any issues since out retraining. i also dont do anything that would reinforce a negative behaviour from her for the most part. no rough play. watching the tone of my voice. all that stuff.
also, i had a male shepherd who was a basically good ol guy. he did have a few issues with killing some cats and possums and such. but would never act out towards humans particularly. he didn't like some black folks as a general rule, but wasn't a horrible nuisance to anyone. he was just being a dog.
in the long run there wasn't much that needed to be done with him, we just kept him away from cats. and whatever came into the yard was inevitable.

i hope you seek a trainer, or some alternative otherthan euthansia, maybe you could just find him a new home, rather than putting him down. its not your fault or his fault he is acting the way he is, there is just something out of whack.

my .02

·
Premium Member
1,343 Posts
Is your dog receiving his/her annual distemper shots?? Did you have your dog neutered.

It's a tough call to put a dog down, especially for the wrong reasons, if you/owner could have prevented the problems in the first place. Think long and hard before making your final decision.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
He hasnt recieved any shots in quite awhile. Hasnt been neutered either. The guy from animal control actually mentioned maybe hes been rowdy because a lot of female dogs are in heat aorund this time.

·
crank trigger
8,155 Posts
you have an unaltered male and you wonder why he is getting aggro? that is what happens. they will get out, they will wander, they will get more territorial, they will get more aggressive. it's the hormones. fix him. they also have decreased chances for several illnesses when neutered. and get him vetted while you are at it. if this is too spendy, give him to a no kill shelter.

·
search, you #$%@! noob
9,997 Posts
i think the neutering is your best bet, but i can't be sure.

this may sound nuts, but a co-worker of mine utilized a dog "shrink" when her dog starting getting aggressive. took all of two visits for the behavior to be corrected, was a long time ago, don't remember what caused it. this same shrink has "analyzed" another friend's dog who was very aggressive kind of recently (it was a rescue dog, so it was bad from day one), and that dog is ALOT better after only a few visits.

i'd hate for you to give up on the dog without trying to figure out what's wrong. good luck...

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
We have a daycare in our house...From the 1st day I brought my dog(R.I.P) home I said if she ever bit anyone even in play Id put her down....As much as I loved her...I was lucky & never had to do that in the 15 years that I had her...

·
Registered
92 Posts
look at making your fence harder to get out of. if he's digging under, try laying down some chicken wire. this will keep him from digging.i know several people that do this with their pens and it works.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Another thing I haven't seen mentioned is socialization. Do you take your dog out very often and expose him to people and other animals. Making other people and animals "normal" to him might help.
Neutering will probably help but will take a little while to get the hormones and instinctive behavior out of his system so do something about the fence.
As mentioned earlier obedience classes will help. It is also a form of socialization.
My dogs are my family. I would do everything I could before making the call.

HTH

Tim

·
green ones make me horny
11,154 Posts
Mr. Death said:
He hasnt recieved any shots in quite awhile. Hasnt been neutered either. The guy from animal control actually mentioned maybe hes been rowdy because a lot of female dogs are in heat aorund this time.
rabies and distemper are yearly requirements. if he still has his nuts, chop them bastards off and watch him calm down over night. my dogs love everybody so i dont think they could bite someone. but i will say if any of my dogs bite a kid i wont have to put him or her down cause i will kill them myself

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
Why don't you make it so he can't get out? Fix the hole in his pen or fence the yard in.

my dog started to chase people and get agressive when he got to be about 8 years old. he hadn't bit a person yet unless you were ****ing with him when he was sleeping or eating, which was usually my own stupid fault, but he would never pass up the chance to get in to fights with other dogs. I found a dead german shepard down the hill from my house with his throat ripped apart one day, and I don't know if my dog did it or not, but I fenced the whole place in so it wouldn't happen again.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
We already did a few temporary things to the fence last night so he wouldnt get out again. Today were going to fix it right though. Is it usually expensive to have a dog neutered? Ill just take it out of my pocket so my parents dont have to worry about. Going to pay for the citation also since we got one for him getting out of the pen.

·
Registered
548 Posts
I hate to say it but I would put it down. What if it would have bitten that kid. Even if the kid was fawking with it. You would have a lawsuit on your hands. The fact that it tried to bite your brother would be enough for me to introduce Mr .223.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
I paid $70 for neutering. Some places wanted over $200 so shop around a little.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I hate say it but try peta. I got my pitt bull done there and i only paid 50 and that included a rabb shot.

·
Shhhh, I'm not here
3,258 Posts
First off he is a Husky and they are naturally wandering dogs, you mix that with him being a breeding male with hormonal drives and is continually pinned up, which for just about any dog will make them psycho without a lot of exercise to release their energy.

You have a case of disaster in your back yard and it is your responsibility to get the dog's nuts cut off, provide him lots and lots of exercise and socialization. If you can't provide all this, then find him a home that can do this because you are not being the responsible owner for that dog.

Sorry to be rude but dogs are just like having a baby around, you have to spend a lot of time with them, teach them to be social and make sure thier health issues are dealt with.

Animals are reflections of thier owners, remember that. They are what you make them, good or bad.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts