Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just an opinion as far as the body lift and the 4x4 shift. I recently did my body lift, and per the instructions, you are to cut some sections out of the floor plate to allow the shift to move through the ranges. Not only did I not want to beat on the floor plate, I also didnt like the idea that the shift just sank 3 inches deeper into the floor. Instead, I went to the junkyard and took a shift off of a 4x4 F-150, came home, cut out a section, then cut my shift and welded the section in. Now the shift works properly, and remains at the normal height for ease of changing ranges. Also, simply flipping the rear bumper brackets and changing them from left to right instantly brought the rear bumper to the perfect height. I did have to burn some new holes in the frame, but that was no big deal. Just my $ .02 on going thru these modifications. Rick....

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
some kits have different things, but us 80 - 86 owners have to get a little bit more creative. The 80-86 kit also comes with no steering extension. I had to cut and weld a couple of junkyars shafts to make a longer, double jointed steering shaft that did not bind.

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
My kit came with the extension....**** that shit. I will post pics of this mod (i was bored when i did this.)

I went and got a tunnel cover from a 87? 2wd manual transmission. i also got the t case shifter from a late 86 bronco where the actual handle bolts on with 2 bolts, not welded to the bracket. i used a piece of 5/8" cold rolled rod and ground one side flat drilled 2 holes and bolted up my new shift handle. I measures the throw fo the handle and cut the tunnel to accommodate the throw (about 1.5"x 6"). Sprayed it with undercoating and bolted it up. For a boot i used the tranny boot from the donor truck which is massive...like 6x10"? to cover up the manual shifter hole im gonna cut a piece of diamond plate aluminum to fit. (my wich controls will go here at a later date.)

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
I've thought about this one in the past. Couldn't you take off the stock shifter heat it where apropriate with a acetylene rose bud and then bend it so it wouldn't interfere? Maybe you'd need two bends. But I'd think you could make it work. I'm going to be doing an inch spacer soon when I do poly body mounts. I don't think it'll be an issue though.

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
86eddieb said:
....and per the instructions, you are to cut some sections out of the floor plate....Not only did I not want to beat on the floor plate, I also didnt like the idea that the shift just sank 3 inches deeper into the floor. ....cut out a section, then cut my shift and welded the section in.....simply flipping the rear bumper brackets..brought the rear bumper to the perfect height. I did have to burn some new holes in the frame....
Just one question, what did you expect from a body lift?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, what I expected, wasn't anything but a lift, as thats all that comes in the 80-86 kits. If I had a 87-96, I would have had different expectations. The post was simply to throw out a few ideas for other 80-86 owners, wasn't really intended to create bitter response.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Great idea on the rear bumper brackets. I just lifted my 84 with a 3" body lift. What did you do with the front bumper? I can't find relocating brackets for the front, thinking about making my own. Any idea's??

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
As for the front bumper, I had to the old school way of cutting the frame and moving the cut off pieces up then rewelding them on. I couldn't think of any other way to do the front bumper.

·
Registered
9,895 Posts
On our 87 I just took a torch to the shifter and bent it so it would clear everything. The PO's of it cut the crap out of the floor pan, so I had to get another one.

·
Registered
22 Posts
86eddieb said:
As for the front bumper, I had to the old school way of cutting the frame and moving the cut off pieces up then rewelding them on. I couldn't think of any other way to do the front bumper.

Your idea on the front bumper worked great. After welding on some support brackets it's not coming off. The bumper looks great.:rockon Next is the rear bumper. Thanks again.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts