Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone so upon waiting for enough time to do ball joints I'm picking on some other things on my 95 bronco. The other night my dome light wouldn't come on unless I tapped on the lens, now I believe the bulb is blown or maybe a contact issue because it's not working, but seeing how the lens is foggy and the chrome bezel is discolored I looked at replacing it, I did a search and come across a couple threads about using mustang dome lights,

I have a question that wasn't presented on those threads, the threads I read were talking about replacing the factory dome/map lights with the mustang light.

But mine isn't a dome/map light, my is an xl and has just the single dome with the chrome bezel.

Will the mustang or other ford dome/map lights work in place of the plain factory
one?

Also will I have to change any wiring?

·
Premium Member
5,774 Posts
Yes it will work without changes.
The all plastic dome lights are not just limited to mustangs, a ton of different Ford cars use them. They are inexpensive and plentiful at junkyards.

·
Registered
9,829 Posts
Yes it will work without changes.
The all plastic dome lights are not just limited to mustangs, a ton of different Ford cars use them. They are inexpensive and plentiful at junkyards.
:stupid

Mine came from a Taurus but the 97-03 F series trucks got them as well. You can get them in different colors to match your interior. They all have a plug in connector which is used on newer vehicles but they are also set up to work with the mounting screw connectors as well. I just screwed mine in, I think I had to use the old screws but that was it.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I need one of these. I have the dome/map combo. Its one of the chrome ones, which I like nicer than the one my '96 F150 had, but the yellow dim light it gives off from the old lens is pathetic. I used to see the replacement lenses on stores, but no more.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I need one of these. I have the dome/map combo. Its one of the chrome ones, which I like nicer than the one my '96 F150 had, but the yellow dim light it gives off from the old lens is pathetic. I used to see the replacement lenses on stores, but no more.

I bought a clear lense from LMC, it was very tight but it fit, made a world of difference with the led also

·
Registered
242 Posts
If you would like to retain the factory housing you could always buy a replacement lens like this...

http://www.dormanproducts.com/mobile/itemdetail.aspx?ProductID=16346&SEName=74351

It makes a dramatic difference in light filtering if your lens is yellowed.

And retrofit some led pads like I did..
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00H9BOQEE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Two pads will fit nicely in the factory housing and give off more light than any of the factory pulloffs off any other Ford vehicle.

This is before the lens replacement, light is about twice as bright after the lens.

The remaining two light pads can be used to retrofit the door courtesy lights.:popc1:

·
I see Broncos
6,011 Posts
Mustangs, Tauruses, Thunderbirds, really most of Ford's vehicles used the same dome light. It's a plug and play modification but it's also a good way to get power to a overhead console (Using the plug) if you ever wanted to add one.

That is a Chevy truck OHC getting power from a T-bird dome light using a Taurus dome light harness mated to the chevy harness.

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Does my standard dome light use the 3 screws? Meaning did the factory map/dome lights and the standard dome lights use the same contacts with the three screws?

Also I have blue interior, bout the best option would be black map/dome light huh?

Found this mustang one on eBay, should bolt right up correct?
http://m.ebay.com/itm/231449836234?nav=WATCHING_ACTIVE

·
I see Broncos
6,011 Posts
3 screws - yep. If you have a junkyard nearby you could possibly get it cheaper than online.

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks a lot everyone may try to find one locally if not I'm gonna get a brand new one

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Do any of the dome lights look better than others or are they pretty much all the same, I like the look of the mustang dome/map light but is there any that look better?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts