Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just 2 quick questions. this isnt anything that will be happening soon. i have a lot of reading to do, and would need to find one of you sas gurus that may be willing to do the work with my help in my relative area.

1. is there a particular donor vehicle that is best suited for the swap (to an 89).

2. is there a particular donor vehicle (though perhaps not the same as in number 1) that would come with (usable) both front and rear axles, but geared to accomidate 35-38 inch tires.

bear with me, i am a beginner, and do have a lot of reading to do before i make this leap. and it wont be doing it without someone more knowledgable than me. but in the mean time, I could start collecting parts and do the cleanup on them. gotta start somewhere.

thanks.

·
Registered
8,387 Posts
mrjkwik said:
just 2 quick questions. this isnt anything that will be happening soon. i have a lot of reading to do, and would need to find one of you sas gurus that may be willing to do the work with my help in my relative area.

1. is there a particular donor vehicle that is best suited for the swap (to an 89).

2. is there a particular donor vehicle (though perhaps not the same as in number 1) that would come with (usable) both front and rear axles, but geared to accomidate 35-38 inch tires.

bear with me, i am a beginner, and do have a lot of reading to do before i make this leap. and it wont be doing it without someone more knowledgable than me. but in the mean time, I could start collecting parts and do the cleanup on them. gotta start somewhere.

thanks.
Ya, you gotta lot of reading to do.

Alot dependes on if you want to do a leaf SAS or a coil one.

Read up on other people's write ups. There is a ton of info here.

I would think obvious donors would be 78-79 broncos if you wanted coils, or 80s-90s F350s if you wanted leafs(someone will correct me if I'm wrong tho).

READ, READ, READ.

·
Sway's jealous of my
2,856 Posts
1. 78-79 Bronco's (big ones, obviously), 77.5-79 F150's. Before that you have thicker tubed D44's, but I can't remember what their catch is. Those are Coil. F250's of that vintage had leaf sprung Dana 44's if you want leaf springs. And 85-97 F350's had bolt in Dana 60 leaf sprung front axles along with 10.25's in the rear (or D70 DRW I believe?).

2. For 35-39's, you're gonna need 4.56-4.88 gears, none of which came from the factory in a Bko. If you have a T18 or NP435 then you could run a 4.10 geared Bronco and use the granny first to get going. Might even be able to use a 3.55 geared as well.

70's half tons will pretty much come with 9's. Just read, absorb, then pass out.

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,026 Posts
mrjkwik said:

thanks.
K, I'm going to approch the answer based on your tire size given and the fact you mention single donor vehicle:

Given your tire size, unless you plan on wheeling very agressively, dropping a big block in, etc., IMO you can get away with a single donor vehicle of the following:

D44 front from a fullsize 70's rig (F150), and 9" rear (this is what the combination will be). D44 front will be High Pinion, but issues to look for is '75 and older IIRC will likely be drum, so you would have the added task of getting newer stuff to convert to disc. Someone was just recently posting about using their existing 80's outer disc setup for doing this, so I'm sure you can find someone to fill the detail here. Other thing to look out for on the older axles (before '75) was whether it's closed knuckle (don't want this). Any fullsize D44HP up through '77 with open knuckle and either disc or convert to disc will be a good score, with smaller 2.75" diameter tube, but thicker wall. '78-79 D44HP from a bronco or F150 is the obvious other drop in choice. leave these 5x5.5 bolt pattern to match the 9" and keep the tires below 38's and you should do ok. you can upgrade the front axle shafts/joints as well, and that would be a good idea with 36+ tire size.

Some questions to consider, coil or leaf up front? The above info. assumes coil. There are other options....stepping up to 8 lug, maybe going D60 in front, but that either complicates finding the parts, or requires you to look for an F250/350 in the case of the D60.

·
FSB warrior
6,113 Posts
Saurian said:
2. For 35-39's, you're gonna need 4.56-4.88 gears, none of which came from the factory in a Bko. If you have a T18 or NP435 then you could run a 4.10 geared Bronco and use the granny first to get going. Might even be able to use a 3.55 geared as well.
Nope, I run 36's/ 3.55's and start out in second, you could probably run 44's

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for all the info guys. i am going to keep reading up. like i said, i'm a novice, but quick learner.

as for driving style, i wouldnt be doing much wheeling for now. maybe a bit here and there. once i learn more, and feel more comfortable with doing my own fixes, then i'd probably get into it more.

if its gotta be regeared, thats fine. costs is an issue, but i plan to spread out the parts gathering/reconditioning over time. this forum is dangerous cuz it gives me a lot of ideas, which the wallet doesnt like. and neither does the wife. :twak

as far as the front end, is one way better than the other. more durable? easier to install?

thanks for bearing with me and not flaming. one thing i like about fsb, not much flaming (just a lot of ribbing).

and last, are there any sas guru's in the 4 state region (wv, va, pa, md)?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts