Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

don't know what im getting myself into!

1K views 18 replies 16 participants last post by  BubbaBronco 
#1 ·
Whats up,
I just became a member after picking up a free 1984 3 speed auto bronco. Ive been on this site tons of times it is awesome!!!! BUT Im just wondering what im getting myself into. The truck runs fine, lacks a little power, the 4 wheel drive doesn't work, and its rusty in the wells. What am I getting myself into.

#4 ·
I guess it would all depend on what is wrong with the 4 wheel drive, rust is pretty easy fix, but if the 4 wheel drive is shot I'd look for something else, if it is the trafser case, you could get a new transfer case from a JY cheap I'd fix it, lift it, put some big tires on her and wheel the s*** out of it...

Qouestion: Does the truck try to engage into 4x4 (clunk when you engage) or does it not even try???

If the front axle is shot and you want to take the time to do it right I'd SAS it...

#8 ·
Gacknar said:
How to test Ford Auto locking hubs on all TTB aplications.

1. Place transfercase in 2HI or Neutrall.

2. Lying under vehicle, turn front drive shaft (one direction only).

3. Automatic hubs should lock after 1 to 5 turns of driveshaft (one direction only).

After step 3 the hubs should lock, youll know they are locked becouse you will hear a click from both hubs and you will no longer be able to turn the front drive shaft (in the same direction). If this is not the case then continue to step 4. If you can no longer turn the drive shaft (in the same direction) then skip to step 7.

4. If you can still turn the drive shaft (one direction only) then one or more of your Auto hubs is not working.

5. Continuing to turn the Drive shaft (one direction only).

6. Look at the u-joints for the front stub axles, if both are turning then both front hubs are malfunctioning, if only one is turning then the one that is not turning is locked and the one turning is malfuctioning.

Replace as necosary (preferably with manual hubs, Auto hubs have Yams in them)

7. To unlock the hubs, turn drive shaft in opisat direction untill you hear a click from the hubs.

To check for transfercase engagement.

1. Place pushbutton transfercase in either 4 HI or 4LO.

2. lie under vehicle.

3. You should not be able to turn front drive-shaft in either direction.

4. If you can turn the front drive shaft then your transfer case is not shifting properly.

#9 ·
I'm sorry, what part of the FREE VEHICLE part didn't you comprehend?

If it's got "TITS or WHEELS ON IT" its bound to give you trouble. GO FOR IT, no matter what anyone says they're still a lot of fun and you have all the free help you could ever imagine here to help you keep it running.

ENJOY and VELCUM!

:enforce :enforce

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.