Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Age. Fac ut gaudeam
3,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
EFI to Carb

ZOMG DON'T SHOOT ME!

Nope nothing wrong with my EFI at all. I hate EFI and rather have a Carb.

With that being said, I'm not in a hurry to swap it out. I have bigger problems to worry about. But, what parts should I collect and look out for? I want to build my engine up, and build it up Carbed. So I'll probably buy aftermarket where I can.

I will need to change my Intake Manifold, Carb it self, and I have to swap a computer and something about my fuel pump...

What does it mean by computer? What about my fuel pump?

I know I'm missing important details, fill in the blank?

·
Age. Fac ut gaudeam
3,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
This post is for Jopes, by the way:

"Why does everyone want to switch to Carb? Go Mass Air, keep EFI!"

You're welcome Jopes!:thumbup

·
Premium Member
23,563 Posts
your trans will need a controller if you have a auto.

If you want a carb why don't you buy a older bronco rather than chopping that one up.

·
Age. Fac ut gaudeam
3,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
your trans will need a controller if you have a auto.

If you want a carb why don't you buy a older bronco rather than chopping that one up.
Yeah, E4OD.

Because this is my Bronco. Mine. I want it to be mine, not somebody else.

Plus, I have no money at all, and got this Bronco for fffrrrreeeeee!:haha

·
Registered
9,790 Posts
its more hassle than its worth. carbs have less power and use more fuel. if nothings wrong with your efi and it doesnt constantly give you trouble its better to just leave it.

·
penis
3,320 Posts
its more hassle than its worth. carbs have less power and use more fuel. if nothings wrong with your efi and it doesnt constantly give you trouble its better to just leave it.
I am not a carb guy but this is wrong.... Carbs can get the same/or pretty close to he same fuel eff. and power and can produce more. Mass air would be the way to go. There was a company several years ago that made a TPS for a carb set up so you could use electronic tranny's I would have to dig around for a bit If I can find the name I will link it up here.

·
Registered
9,790 Posts
I am not a carb guy but this is wrong.... Carbs can get the same/or pretty close to he same fuel eff. and power and can produce more. Mass air would be the way to go. There was a company several years ago that made a TPS for a carb set up so you could use electronic tranny's I would have to dig around for a bit If I can find the name I will link it up here.
thats not what i heard.

are you thinking bauhman?

·
Age. Fac ut gaudeam
3,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I know the potential of Carbs, they are alot easier to build and look cooler.

I will probably get less fuel economy with it Carbed, however.

·
penis
3,320 Posts
I know the potential of Carbs, they are alot easier to build and look cooler.

I will probably get less fuel economy with it Carbed, however.
Your problem is not swapping it over it will be the E4OD firm shifts and may even start hunting for gears as well.

Look what I found when I searched LMAO

·
Registered
475 Posts
EFI won't starve the engine like a carb will if you at an incline. I guess as long as you don't ever have to go through emissions... and going to a carb from EFI might be illegal in some states.

·
Registered
9,790 Posts
also you have to wait for the truck to warm up with a carb. theres also longer crank and warmup times. plus in theory it will be more susceptable to clogging. if you want to put a carb on and loose all the advantages of efi just cause it looks cooler then we must have a form/function person. you never whin with people like that.

·
Premium Member
23,563 Posts
also you have to wait for the truck to warm up with a carb. theres also longer crank and warmup times. plus in theory it will be more susceptable to clogging. if you want to put a carb on and loose all the advantages of efi just cause it looks cooler then we must have a form/function person. you never whin with people like that.
not to mention super cold weather can cause issues with the carbs freezing up.

·
Registered
805 Posts
I've got a carb vehicle that runs great, and I have an EFI vehicle that runs great, and I'd take the EFI over the carb any day of the week. EFI vehicle starts up without havin' to pump the gas, or pull the choke. It doesn't get finicky from changes in temperature, etc. And as far as making the EFI look good, I've seen plenty of 5.0L Mustangs that look really good under the hood. Wouldn't take much to make a Bronco look pretty much the same way.

·
Registered
9,790 Posts
i like the fuel injected look better, looks less primitive.

·
Registered
664 Posts
I just don't understand why you would want to go backwards in technology. As an example: Sell your HD TV and buy a CRT. It just doesn't make sense. :shrug

·
Age. Fac ut gaudeam
3,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I just don't understand why you would want to go backwards in technology. As an example: Sell your HD TV and buy a CRT. It just doesn't make sense. :shrug
I don't own TV at all. :goodfinge

Primitive is best, anything past 1975 looks like ass. Excepting the 78-79 Bronco.

Some 80s cars were acceptable, like the Camaro.

Carbs perform better IMO.

Thanks for link, it actually answers some questions. :thumbup

·
Registered
429 Posts
I converted my 87 Mustang from EFI to carb when I swapped the 4pot out and slid a 5.0 in it's place.

In retrospect, I wish I had kept the EFI on the car. The carb runs great; I have it tuned well, but the EFI just runs smoother under a wider range of driving conditions.

I can help with the conversion if you really need it, but I'd think twice if I were you.

Ryan

·
Premium Member
23,563 Posts
I added EFI to my 400. It ran so much better with the EFI then the carb ever did, and I spent alot of time tuning the new carb that it had on it.

1 - 20 of 106 Posts