Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay strange question...When I re-soldered the brake lamps on my 91 bronco I noticed that the door buzzer was completely silent when I started working on it. Once I was done soldering I put the key back in the ignition and I could barely hear it.

I'm not desperate to hear that door buzzer any time soon but I'm worried that it may be a sign of other problems in my systems. Could it be something as simple as a new battery or am I just crazy?

·
Registered
642 Posts
My 91 f250 is the same way and my 89 bronco was also the same. I think someone mentioned the buzzer just wears out over time but consider yourself lucky its not annoyingly loud like some vehicles.

·
Registered
'91 5.0 E4OD, 6" long-arm lift, shackle-flip, 35" Procomp M/Ts, 4.56 gears & lockers
406 Posts
Mine is barely audible as well. I don't mind it at all.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Mine had been unplugged when I got it. From the sounds of it, I'd say it's been unplugged for a long time since it's very loud.

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
Where is this "Chime" located? In the dash? Mine has not worked since I bought the Bronco. The only reason I would want it to work is if I leave my lights on. Also none of the chime functions work- seat belt not connected, door open, lights on, etc... The only chime I get is with the RKE key fob, it will lock the truck (I get the beep) but when I unlock with the RKE and open the door the alarm sounds??????????? I have to close the door and unlock with key to stop alarm......................
Any help is greatly appreciated...............

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
Then I have 2 issues.
1-This is a factory Theft System (RKE) on 1995 with Factory Ford Key Fob- Yes Horn beeps when locking, but after opening with Fob alarm will sound when door opens- Sounds like I need a new Theft Module. #39575
rke-006.jpg

2- So the "Chime Module" is located forward of the gas pedal and controls the Door Open, Lights ON, Seat Belt warnings sounds. May not be connected? I will check it out this weekend.

Thanks Steve..............:beer

·
Super Moderator
26,097 Posts
yo,
all this is by Ford; for a 96;

Section 13-09: Gauges/Warning Devices, Chime/Buzzer System
1996 F-150, F-250, F-350, F-Super Duty Chassis Cab Workshop Manual (PARTIAL)
DESCRIPTION AND OPERATION
Warning Chime/Buzzer System
The warning chime/buzzer module produces a repetitive chime or steady buzzing sound for the following conditions:
•Key-in-ignition warning with driver's door open.
•Fasten safety belt warning.
•Headlamp-on warning (available on some models).
--

REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION
Warning Chime Module
Removal
1.Depress plastic tab on warning chime module case to release the warning chime module from the metal bracket.
2.Slide the warning chime module off the metal bracket.
3.Disconnect wiring connector from warning chime module.
Installation
1.Follow removal procedures in reverse order. Check operation of chime.

Item Part Number Description
1 14401 Main Wiring
2 04320 Instrument Panel
3 10D876 Safety Belt Warning Chime Bracket
4 10D840 Safety Belt Warning Chime
5 — Warning Chime/Buzzer Module Connector (Part of 14401)
6 — Selectable RPM Controller Breakout (Part of 14401)
7 10B924 Safety Belt Warning Indicator Switch

Buzzer Module
Removal
1.Rotate buzzer 90 degrees.
2.Remove buzzer from bracket.
3.Disconnect wiring connector from buzzer module.

Installation
1.Follow removal procedures in reverse order.
2.Check buzzer operation.

Overview in a 96 from Workshop Manual; "...The warning chime/buzzer sounds when the headlamp switch (11654) is in PARK or HEAD and the driver's door is open, and continues to sound until the headlamp switch is moved to OFF or the door is closed. When the headlamp switch is in PARK or HEAD, power is supplied through Circuit 14 (BR) to the module. When the driver's door is open, the driver's door lamp switch (13713) is closed and power is supplied to the module through Circuit 159 (R/PK)..."

Key-in-Ignition Warning Overview in a 96 from Workshop Manual; "...The warning chime/buzzer sounds when the driver's door is open with the key in the ignition switch lock cylinder (11582), and continues to sound until the key is removed or the door is closed. When the key is in the ignition switch lock cylinder, the key-in-ignition switch is closed and ground is supplied to the warning chime/buzzer module through Circuit 158 (BK/PK). When the driver's door is open, the driver's door lamp switch (13713) is closed

Pin Number Circuit Circuit Function
1 14 (BR) Headlamps ON Signal to Chime/Buzzer
2 159 (R/PK) Driver Door Courtesy Lamp Switch to Chime/Buzzer
3 85 (BR/LB) Safety Belt Switch to Chime/Buzzer
4 158 (BK/PK) Key-in-Ignition Switch to Chime/Buzzer
5 57 (BK) Ground Circuit
6 450 (DG/LG) Safety Belt Warning Indicator Lamp Feed
7 640 (R/Y) Warning Lamps Feed

Attachments

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
I guess I don't have the terminology or expertise in this area, my apologies.

When I lock the truck with the remote the horn sounds and truck locks. No other sounds, no aftermarket alarm system. When I unlock with remote, truck unlocks but when I open the door the alarm sounds. The only way to shut alarm off is by closing door and use key to manually unlock door then I can open without alarm. If I push "Panic" on remote it will not turn off alarm.

The "The warning chime/buzzer module produces a repetitive chime or steady buzzing sound for the following conditions:
•Key-in-ignition warning with driver's door open.
•Fasten safety belt warning.
•Headlamp-on warning (available on some models).
These functions do not work at all. I will check with the info Miesk5 provided above.

Thanks Steve & Miesk5 for your help

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
Correction.........Why do I keep calling it an alarm- No alarm only HORN..... Noobie or plain dumb? ??? Sorry for the frustration.....

When I lock the truck with the remote the horn sounds and truck locks. No other sounds, no aftermarket alarm system. When I unlock with remote, truck unlocks but when I open the door the HORN sounds. The only way to shut HORN off is by closing door and use key to manually unlock door then I can open without HORN. If I push "Panic" on remote it will not turn off HORN.

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
I will be working on this today, Wish me luck...................

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Still waiting for my door beeper to give up the ghost:toothless

·
Registered
144 Posts
The older piezo-electric style beepers/chimes are real simple if you open them up, the piezo disc is usually sitting on a couple foam pads. Over time the foam breaks down and the chime gets quiet. I just replace the foam with a chunk from a kitchen sponge or similar, and the chime gets nice and loud like new.

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
The horn should only beep with the 2nd press of the LOCK button on the remote.
YES, 1st press locks doors, 2nd press horn beeps. That is working correctly.

What if you press UNLOCK while the horn is sounding?
When I press unlock, horn still sounds. Will only stop sounding when key is used to unlock door.

I am trying to work on this but keep getting pulled away for family issues. will continue...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts